Menu

Home improvement question

Our house was built in the 1950's. When we moved in there was ugly paneling in the kitchen. We ripped the paneling off and scraped and sanded the glue off. The glue was awful; it might have been tar, we're not sure. It was on thick and it was brown and still sticky. We sanded really well; there was just a slight shadow of glue left. If we would have sanded more, we could have had uneven walls. We covered it with 2 coats of Kilz and 3 coats of paint. Six months later the glue was showing through the paint. The guy at the paint store said to use Bin. I put FOUR coats of Bin on and 2 more coats of paint. He said Bin is what they use to cover smoke damage in houses. The #**&$! glue is showing through again!! Big ugly brown stains on my kitchen walls, blech!! It is time to try to fix it again. Can anyone recommend anything I can use to cover whatever evil glue this is on my walls?

I am thinking you will need to put new sheet rock up also. I can't believe all the primer and paint didn't seal the stains in.

If you don't want to put up sheetrock, maybe walpaper?

They used to have paintable wallpaper...maybe you could put that up and then paint it the color you'd like.

I had that happen with ball point pen on one of my walls. Truly, unbelievable, the way this ridiculous little scribble could bleed through anything.

We ended up using Zinsser oil based primer; it says it can then be painted with regular latex paint, which is what we used three or so years ago and it hasn't bled back through, nor has the paint fallen off the walls. (There are new masterpieces, however)

The Zinsser seems thin and transparent, but it seemed to work better than Kilz.

I feel your pain. We had saggy, baggy, ugly paneling that we ripped off the kitchen walls and ceiling last year... unfortunately, it was holding up crumbling plaster, so we ended up drywalling over the lath. Ugh.

This q. popped into my head yesterday when dh & I were discussing reno's & he suggested the shellac based BIN primer.

http://www.zinsser.com/product_detail.asp?productid=10

We used it to cover up cedar knots inside a closet & it does work much much better than the regular bin primer.

I used it to seal the wood subfloors before we put in our laminate as well...Shake it very well as it's a weird watery consistency.