Menu

S/O: WWI Q: Climate in England

Oh, I've thought you *were* from England (Newcastle upon Tyne) whenever I saw your name! The English climate varies a lot, depending upon where you are and also, naturally, year to year. I've been in southern England when it was pretty close to 100° with no rain for weeks on end. The west country and northern England can be cool and damp. In winter, the east coast can get a wind that comes from the steppes of Russia & over the North Sea without a break -- not that cold, thermometer-wise, but more bone-chilling than a New England winter.

I'm not completely sure what you are asking here... except that in WWI the troops may have been living in trenches, which often had standing water in the bottom ...damp, cold, chillblain-causing.

Edited by Alessandra

Yes, English weather can be extremely variable (though I've never seen it reach 100 here!). There can be spells of dry, sunny weather, but in my experience, it is much, much wetter than the US. That said, I think it would depend on where someone is from in the States. I think English weather is probably similar to the weather in Washington state. So how much troops had to adjust would have depended on where they were from. Also, I've spoken with people here who say that the climate has changed considerably from when they were young (50-60 years ago). They remember real summers with extended periods of dry, hot weather and very cold winters. My experience in the last 8 years has been that it can get into the 80's, but that never lasts more than a few days. The weather varies drastically from day to day, and a lot of the summer has highs in the 60's with wind and rain. It rarely gets below freezing where we are, but with the wind and rain can feel worse than a Moscow winter (and, yes, I've experienced one of those).

It also depends where you are in the UK. I grew up in the south west of England and now live in the east of Scotland. Because the prevailing wind is from the west, off the Atlantic, the west of the country is much wetter than the east. There's a good rain map here.

To return to your question: you are right that the key was not being able to find proper shelter, I think - they just never dried out/warmed up. The climate of northern France would have been similar to the wetter parts of England.

Laura

O.K. now that I know that northern France is damp and wet and cold. Isn't England that way too? At least the Americans I know who have gone there say that it is. So was it that different from home for the English troops? (Other than the fact that home they could stay home at the fire, of course.)

Well, according to the rain map, I lived in one of the driest parts of the U.K for 12 years (East Anglia), but it was plenty rainy for me. I think it all really depends of where in the US the soldiers came from. For me, coming from Madrid Spain, even "dry" East Anglia was too much gloom, not enough sunshine. It is a different kind of cold, damp and grey, that makes you reach for the kettle for a cuppa!

I don't recall having ever experienced 100 degree days even in the warmest late spring/summer days. The first time I went to the UK, in London, they went through a heat wave that lasted over a week. Even then they only reached the mid 90s. I recall my host family giving up on cooking altogether because it was so hot! They lived on drinks, fruits and sandwiches. I remember telling them how in Spain we could reach the 100s in summer but we still had cooked meals! I was soo hungry I even lost weight... then again, it was a good thing because soon after I discovered all the wonderful pies and chocolates! It brings back memories :)

I don't recall having ever experienced 100 degree days even in the warmest late spring/summer days. The first time I went to the UK, in London, they went through a heat wave that lasted over a week. Even then they only reached the mid 90s.

I was staying with a British friend a couple of years ago during a 'heat wave'. It was about 75 degrees F and she was wilting.

Laura

The first time I went to the UK, in London, they went through a heat wave that lasted over a week. Even then they only reached the mid 90s.

Yes, people are wilting here when it gets into the 80's. They'll actually be so worn out from the heat that they can hardly motivate to get out of the house.

The east of Scotland only gets about as much rain as does Dallas, TX. The south west of the UK gets as much sunshine as my part of Scotland, however. Maybe it gains from the longer days in the south.

I'm sure the longer days helps, but it could also be caused by the fact that the weather here is so changeable because of the sea breezes. It can go from bright sun to hailstorm in minutes and then back to bright sun.

So we're getting the precipitation without the endless hours of clouds. Of course, sometimes we do get endless hours and days of clouds, too. :001_smile:

I'm sure the longer days helps, but it could also be caused by the fact that the weather here is so changeable because of the sea breezes. It can go from bright sun to hailstorm in minutes and then back to bright sun.

So we're getting the precipitation without the endless hours of clouds. Of course, sometimes we do get endless hours and days of clouds, too. :001_smile:

That was my description too of the weather in Fife on my blog, but I wouldn't have said that the weather in Bristol (where I grew up) was like that at all: I seem to remember lots of grey days, as well as sunny days, but not that minute-by-minute variability. Perhaps we were too landlocked. Where are you living again?

Laura

We lived in Yorkshire 01-03. (Long enough to have our last 2 babes.)

The entire time we were in Europe (went to Germany from 03-05), they considered themselves in a heat wave during those summers. It would easily get to 80s / 90s. . .but it had "nothing" in the way of humidity (though they complained about that too).

I don't recall it being cold and wet, except in the winter time. . .and dark.

I also recall there being no thunderstorms in England, and I really missed them! (It's very memorable, because I never thought I would miss thunderstorms. Our first thunderstorm in Germany I thought I would got out and dance in it; that is, till the lightning struck!)