Menu

Presidential Candidates in DFW TX this week

Hi all--

Texas Presidential Primaries are March 4th.

While not all candidates have scheduled specifics on visits, you can expect most of them to hit the dallas area between now and then.

early voting for primaries begins Tuesday.

The Democrats will have a debate in Austin between Hillary and Obama next week, i think. the state's Republican office didn't have anything scheduled when i spoke w/ them.

Ron Paul and Barack Obama will be making appearances this week:

Ron Paul is speaking at UNT in Denton on Monday [tomorrow!] the 18th --President's Day :)

I included an email below that has more particulars.

Obama is planning an appearance for Wednesday. location and time still to be determined --most likely Fair Park per the article in the Sunday paper. watch the following site for more info:

http://new.obamadallas.com/

I imagine that McCain, Hillary, and Huckabee will make appearances too. We're counting them as Gvmt fieldtrips.....

wikipedia has a pretty good rundown of candidates, w/ links to a page for each person on their issues and official website.

Make sure you vote!!! even if you hafta write in a candidate, GO!!

If you hear of any other news, please let me know! Thanks-

==================

Ron Paul email:

> ============================

>

What better way to spend Presidents' Day than with the next

President of the United States of America?

Ron Paul is coming to DFW, and this is the chance for all the

undecided voters you've met while canvassing to hear him for themselves. We all know no one convinces people to vote Ron Paul as well as Ron Paul, so make your job easier by just inviting them to this rally and giving them a ride there! Early voting starts the next day, so they can go home enlightened and vote for him in the morning. It doesn't get much easier than that.

We've been at this for months, and it's about time we had a rally

ourselves. Dr. Paul loves talking to students, and the students at

UNT have fought for him here, in Iowa, in New Hampshire, and elsewhere.

Clear your schedule now and make the drive north to celebrate

their work and Dr. Paul's message.

Where: University of North Texas

University Union, 3rd Floor

Silver Eagle Suite

1155 Union Circle Denton, TX 76203

Start time: 3:00pm

End time: 4:30pm

Cost of admission: At least one undecided voter. You already know

why you love him. Bring someone else so the time he spends here works

as much as possible toward our winning TEXAS.

RSVP here: http://ronpaul.meetup.com/767/calendar/7328408/

FAQ:

Yes, you can come if you aren't a student.

Yes, this event is confirmed.

No, you don't have to pay money, but please bring an undecided

voter with you! :-)

Or are there any board rules anymore?

I appreciate the info regarding the candidates' visits to Texas that you posted, but why the Ron Paul campaign material at the end? If it's A-OK in this Brave New WTM Message Board World, then I"ve got to get busy and start attaching campaign info for MY candidate of choice to all my posts!

Or are there any board rules anymore?

I appreciate the info regarding the candidates' visits to Texas that you posted' date=' but why the Ron Paul campaign material at the end? If it's A-OK in this Brave New WTM Message Board World, then I"ve got to get busy and start attaching campaign info for MY candidate of choice to all my posts![/quote']

There are, but not about politics yet.

And the end stuff wasn't attached. It was just more info about another candidate -- the info about other candidates was first, and some of it was cut and pasted from other sources.

Nobody's campaigning exactly, but nobody seems to be shying away from letting people know for whom they're voting either. It is a brave new WTM world. (And I laughed at that one!)

We can trash husbands, mud-wrestle over candidates and hot-button issues, post Christian/Hebrew/Muslim/Buddhist/Wiccan to our hearts' content?

We just can't post anon-- right? Unless we make up a new name.

Silly me. I jumped in late, after things were all set up here, and I guess I just assumed that the same rules applied.

Wow. This IS a brave new world.

P.S. Not sure what your "attached" referred to, Pam. Did I miss something, or post in error?

We can trash husbands' date=' mud-wrestle over candidates and hot-button issues, post Christian/Hebrew/Muslim/Buddhist/Wiccan to our hearts' content?

We just can't post anon-- right? Unless we make up a new name.

Silly me. I jumped in late, after things were all set up here, and I guess I just assumed that the same rules applied.

Wow. This IS a brave new world.

P.S. Not sure what your "attached" referred to, Pam. Did I miss something, or post in error?[/quote']

I'm getting used to people wanting something in the subject line, and so I typed "something" there. It wasn't apropos to anything, really. Just... there. LOL I'm just going to continue to just type in the body of the message when I reply, because I'm not that clever.

No, there are board rules. I think they're the same ones except for the politics thing. They're there at the top for us to click on if you want to see.

It sounds like you might have thought I was jumping on you. I'm really sorry. I meant to be all lightness and good humor. Honest.

hey Molly :-)

The Ron Paul email was included simply because it contained the info in the original format that i received it. i didn't receive an Obama email [yet], so I included the best site that I could find about it.

and I would absolutely encourage you to add campaign stuff to your signature if you want!!!

and Pam's right --if you click on the Board Rules link above in the blue bar, you'll see that MANY of the rules *did* follow us here --including spouse bashing and being civil to each other :-) But the politics rule was apparently left out. I think if we refrain from turning it into an all out war and keep it as fact-based as possible, then we'll get to continue posting political info.

I still don't get the hang of the "quick reply" vs. the "post a reply" myself!

No, didn't think you were jumping on me; I thought I might have missed something that was attached (and since I am still lost here, I figured you knew how to do something way-cool with your post!) Sorry if you got that impression. If you haven't noticed, I've not posted much here. Not because I don't like the format, but more because though I'm adjunct faculty at a local college and teach English and computer classes, including one online course, for the life of me I do not find this format as easy to follow as the old one. I like it, it just seems more time consuming to follow the conversations.

So back to the discussion at hand. I'm very curious as to why the "no politics" rule doesn't apply, suddenly. To me, at least in the last eight years, politics and religion have been so entangled nationally that it's hard to see how one topic can exist without the other. It's one of my big gripes with politics today. Nothing offends me more quickly than politicians justifying their abominable actions in the name of their faith, and publicly condemning those who believe differently. Lately, it seems to me that the tone has been, "If you're not a Republican, you must be an evil doer."

Okay, so this post is rambling and disjointed and most definitely ill-advised. :o I'll take my lumps, but will remain a loyal Democrat.

Thanks for the info, Peek! I asked about campaign stops in Texas a couple of days ago because I want to take my kids to see some of the contenders (okay, Obama and Hillary, since we can say it:D). There was nothing posted, but now their stops are being scheduled.

This is very exciting for Texas since we don't get much presidential campaigning normally. The primary is late in the season and this is a very red state. I think we're all excited about seeing the candidates this year, no matter what your political preference.

I like the previous format more too :-)

But I think that with THIS format, since the replies are "hidden" unless you open the post, there's less to cause a huge war. And it's easier to close a thread, I bet :-)

You're right --many people entwine politics and religion. As a conservative I hear a lot of "if you aren't on the Manmade Global Climate change bandwagon, you're an uninformed idiot" kinda stuff. Or if i don't want universal healthcare then I'm evil and want people to suffer. There's plenty of issues where the "religion" involved isn't just one of theocracy :-)

however, i do think that sharing basic facts is just fine --yes, Huckabee is baptist. No, Obama is NOT a Muslim, and yes, Edwards wanted mandatory *visits* in his healthcare plan. Those are simply facts. We don't have to agree with a position, but clarifying a position can be very important. And as we all know, most decisions are NOT based on one criteria, but lots of underlying ones as well. I think it's important to be ready to explore those too.

should be a fun few months :D

I like the previous format more too :-)

As a conservative I hear a lot of "if you aren't on the Manmade Global Climate change bandwagon, you're an uninformed idiot" kinda stuff.

But somehow, maybe it smarts less to be thought "an uninformed idiot" than "the devil incarnate." :rolleyes:

I'm very curious as to why the "no politics" rule doesn't apply' date=' suddenly.[/quote']

I don't know, either, why the "no politics" rule has been lifted, but I, for one, am grateful. I'm keenly interested in the subject and disallowing civil political discussions was overly restrictive, in my opinion.

Originally Posted by Peek a Boo

No, Obama is NOT a Muslim...

Not that there's anything wrong with that!

I agree, but I ran into quite a few people who wanted to vote for him "if only he wasn't a Muslim"....

I can respect their decision to base a vote on someone's theological position [or lack thereof], but i really hate it when they base a decision on such blatantly WRONG info. ugh. If you're gonna vote for the wrong person at least do so w/ correct info!! ok-- another joke. I know that we all have our favorites and everyone else's choice will be uh, wrong, lol. I better stop before i get a good political thread deleted or closed! ack!

we'll be there :)

http://new.obamadallas.com/node/3024

HE'S COMING WEDNESDAY!

Senator Barack Obama will be in Dallas on Wednesday, February 20th for a "Stand for Change" Rally on Wednesday morning, February 20th. Don't miss it! The event is free, and no advance tickets are needed; however, entry is first come-first served (so get there early).

Wednesday, February 20th, 12:00 noon (doors open 10:30am)

Reunion Arena, 777 Sports Street, Dallas, TX

The event is free and open to the public. Tickets are not required, however an RSVP is strongly encouraged. Admission is on a first come, first-served basis. RSVP HERE

For security reasons, do not bring bags. No signs or banners permitted. Please limit personal items.