Menu

What age is too young for Austen?

I have an idea for a new book, but part of the research will require me to (finally) read Austen's novels. I'm planning to read a bio, too, as well as her recovered letters.

I figure that's enough right there that I might as well do the novel/week in '09 so I'm killing 2 birds, ya know.

Then I thought--Hey! maybe we could count this for school, too. A whole unit study, right? But my dc are (almost) 8 & (a good solid) 5. They've LOVED Anne of Green Gables & they love being read to....? Dh thinks I'm crazy. :001_huh: :lol:

Uh, yeah, what Abbey said. I read a lot of classics to oldest ds when he was a baby while he was being nursed, though. Seeing you read and enjoy a book, spending time together that way, that's always good for kids, but I think that's about all they'd get out of it at that age. You could really work at helping them understand the books, but I just don't think at that age they'd be mature enough to really grasp it.

Gee, Aubrey, I got through the first part of your post thinking "Gee, Aubrey, you're old enough to read Austen!" :D

I'm not sure I would do it for school at this age. The relationships and customs and symbolism are too complex, at least for my almost 8 y.o. to grasp. I think it might be an enjoyable read-aloud, though. I just wouldn't expect too deep a grasp. It certainly can't hurt to try and see how they do.

Y'all are so sweet. Not one of you has used the word "crazy"--LOL.

I guess it sounded fun because I remember spending one summer reading the bio of Louisa May Alcott w/ my sis & mom. I was 4 or 5, & I did the reading, & I've never forgotten it.

Of course, the bio of Austen is one thing. Her novels are a little different fr Alcott's picture books. I mean... I figure. :lol:

In the end, I guess the question itself betrays my ignorance of Austen. I've seen a couple of the movies. :D

Depending on the book there is a little bit of content that you may or may not want to explain to children yet. Young women seduced by certain gentlemen in particular. It's very discreetly explained, but still part of the story. I can think of such cases in Pride and Prejudice, Sense and Sensibility and Mansfield Park.

The themes are about marriage, parenting, social requirements, disappointed hopes, etc. I just can't quite see my own children really benefiting from reading or hearing the stories read, even though the language is wonderful. And there are just so many books that they've yet to hear full of rich language and stories that they can connect with, I'd rather use our read aloud time on those.

So that's my .02$ :)

And there are just so many books that they've yet to hear full of rich language and stories that they can connect with, I'd rather use our read aloud time on those.

Looking through my books for the one Austen novel I own (Emma), I kind-of had the same thought. But I'm good at brushing those thoughts aside when I. have. an. IDEA!!! LOL Poor dh.

And poor Jami! You're overdue. (I bet nobody's told you that.) Do you need anything? What can I do? I've got a copy of the eviction notice I've had to send to a couple of mine. :lol:

I read Pride and Prejudice on my own when I was 9. I hated it and I didn't pick up another Austen novel until I was 16 or 17, and then only because a good friend practically shoved the book in my hands and chained me to a chair. (And I was reading other classics in the meantime, so it's not that the idea of reading Austen didn't occur to me.)

The problem was that I didn't get any of the irony. I read it straight, and thought Austen was an idiot.

While reading Jane Austen aloud to young children certainly isn't going to harm them, I don't see a great deal of purpose to the endeavour ~ or to turning it into a unit study. Yes, the language is rich and lovely, but so is the language in many other, more age-appropriate novels. There is a wealth of good children's literature out there. I'd encourage you to enjoy that with your little people now rather than reach ahead to what will nourish them in years ahead.:)

Looking through my books for the one Austen novel I own (Emma), I kind-of had the same thought. But I'm good at brushing those thoughts aside when I. have. an. IDEA!!! LOL Poor dh.

And poor Jami! You're overdue. (I bet nobody's told you that.) Do you need anything? What can I do? I've got a copy of the eviction notice I've had to send to a couple of mine. :lol:

Yeah, I know about those ideas! I get some from time to time that leave dh with a :001_huh: expression. ;)

I'm feeling pretty good actually. I mean, certainly ready to be done, but I'm not scaring people in grocery stores or anything. I'm a really slow warm-up birther--a week or two of off and on stuff (usually at night :tongue_smilie:). I like to think we're not too far away at this point.

Here, give this page a try:

It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife.

However little known the feelings or views of such a man may be on his first entering a neighbourhood, this truth is so well fixed in the minds of the surrounding families that he is considered as the rightful property of some one or other of their daughters.

"My dear Mr. Bennet," said his lady to him one day, "have you heard that Netherfield Park is let at last?"

Mr. Bennet replied that he had not.

"But it is," returned she; "for Mrs. Long has just been here, and she told me all about it."

Mr. Bennet made no answer.

"Do not you want to know who has taken it?" cried his wife impatiently.

"You want to tell me, and I have no objection to hearing it."

This was invitation enough.

"Why, my dear, you must know, Mrs. Long says that Netherfield is taken by a young man of large fortune from the north of England; that he came down on Monday in a chaise and four to see the place, and was so much delighted with it, that he agreed with Mr. Morris immediately; that he is to take possession before Michaelmas, and some of his servants are to be in the house by the end of next week."

"What is his name?"

"Bingley."

"Is he married or single?"

"Oh! single, my dear, to be sure! A single man of large fortune; four or five thousand a year. What a fine thing for our girls!"

"How so? how can it affect them?"

"My dear Mr. Bennet," replied his wife, "how can you be so tiresome! You must know that I am thinking of his marrying one of them."

"Is that his design in settling here?"

"Design! nonsense, how can you talk so! But it is very likely that he may fall in love with one of them, and therefore you must visit him as soon as he comes."

You know, Eliana, I actually understand reading those other novels to children more than I would Austen. They're pretty much straight drama. But Austen's wit... I just don't see it as being something that most children (even if we're just talking about well-educated ones with lots of exposure to literature) would gain much from...

And my kids enjoy Shakespeare too. ;)

Here, give this page a try:quote]

They laughed out loud. :001_huh:

ETA: But y'all have convinced me not to try it just now. I think I'll put my efforts into finishing AGG & really enjoying that. Afterwards, poor ds might like something a little more manly!

Edited by Aubrey

it is very rich. I believe you would spend more time explaining what you just read than you would actually reading it!

My kids enjoyed the well done video versions as early as 10, but I think it takes a mature reader to get through Austen, and a mature individual to thoroughly appreciate the snappy dialog and adult situations.

Here, give this page a try:quote]

They laughed out loud. :001_huh:

ETA: But y'all have convinced me not to try it just now. I think I'll put my efforts into finishing AGG & really enjoying that. Afterwards, poor ds might like something a little more manly!

I'm a Janite so I was going to say in utero is probably too soon, but once their born I would give it a go. :confused:

No--it was *my* idea to make it a unit study. Read all 6 books plus a bio to my dc in 6 weeks. :lol:

OK, I was not going to post anything, but I just had to once I read this. I think you could possibly ruin Austen for your children if you did this. Her books are such rich timeless love stories with powerful thoughts and feelings that I think most children would miss entirely. I think you have to understand adult wit and adult subjects - love, prejudice, longing, disappointed hopes, loyalty, desire, the ugly side of people, etc. in order to appreciate her work. It would, IMNSHO, be entirely unappreciated as well as just plain old not understood.

I did not read Austen until I was an adult with a bit of life experience under my belt. While I don't think one is limited to adulthood in order to enjoy Austen, I think it is appreciated more as an adult. I will let my older daughters enjoy the books when they want to read them and I did give my 14yo daughter a compilation of three of her books for Christmas because she wanted them. [The two oldest have also watched several of the movie versions.] With that said, her books will be pleasure reading. They will never be forced to read them or listen to me read them out loud. I think they should be savored on their own by a willing reader. :001_smile:

(Not that I have an opinion on this or anything...:tongue_smilie:)

Edited by Kate CA

Well, then I will go 'Eeek' at you - though more for the term than anything else - you're just talking about reading the books and a bio, not making it the centerpiece of everything else you do, or combining it with a lot of other *stuff*, right?

Yup. That's what I was talking about. Reading about the time pd, tea time...I don't know...etc. :lol:

Don't even think about it. You are not allowed to write anything else until you pump up the head gardener in "First Work", and get it published.

So there. And I'll say it. "CRAZY, CRAZY, CRAZY!!!!" Big smiles to you!

:lol: Ok, ok!!! I just spent all day yesterday sending another query letter. Two, actually, because the perfect one I formulated to the perfect man (next to dh, of course) turned out to be to the not-so-perfect man: in fine print at the bottom of his page, "Not currently accepting unsolicited ms." :smash:

But I've been having the same thoughts about that gardener. If nothing else, she'll be in the next book. ;)

And it sounds far more dramatic than I meant it to! I hope I did not come across as harsh. I didn't mean it that way at all. I just know how wonderful I think Austen is as an adult and I think much of it would be lost on a child. (And I think *you* would enjoy them much more on your own if you get to savor and enjoy them by yourself!) :) Anyway - just wanted to clarify that. I hope I didn't offend.

:001_smile:

And it sounds far more dramatic than I meant it to! I hope I did not come across as harsh. I didn't mean it that way at all. I just know how wonderful I think Austen is as an adult and I think much of it would be lost on a child. (And I think *you* would enjoy them much more on your own if you get to savor and enjoy them by yourself!) :) Anyway - just wanted to clarify that. I hope I didn't offend.

:001_smile:

No, actually I was laughing. I told dh that the board ladies were unanimous that it was a bad idea. While he was smirking at me, I read your post, & told him, "In fact, they say if I try it, I"ll ruin Austen for them forever." :lol:

I thought you were half-serious & half teasing me. Dh teases like that. And rephrases my ideas. Like this: "Oh, yes, Austen. I studied her in kindergarten." :lol: He tries not to laugh. I admire him for that. :glare::lol:

Anyway, we're going to do Math Bingo instead. And maybe get a book about Prince Edward Island to go w/ AGG. I've laid Austen down, & I'm backing away slowly...:leaving:

I don't think it does any harm to try - in fact I believe that often our kids' capacity for rich language and non-kid oriented plots is far greater than we tend to realize. ...but then I'm the one whose kids are watching full length Shakespeare productions by at least 5, so we're already off the curve.

We're off the curve with you :). My daughter has loved the Kevin Kline "Midsummer Night's Dream" movie and some of the older BBC Shakespeare movies since she was 5, as well as Patrick Stewart's unabridged reading of "The Christmas Carol". She's 8 now and has seen a couple of movie adaptations of Austen. I would stick with them as a read aloud or book on cd for her, not try to turn it into a unit study, though. She's enjoying the Elizabeth Peters' Amelia Peabody series on cd in the car and Dorothy Gilman's Mrs. Pollifax novels as bedtime stories right now. We do these along with the kids' classics, but if I were to choose one for a unit study it would be in the kids' classics range for now.

Of course, he is a boy, but he is at college/advanced reading level and can read ancient and medieval classics without batting an eyelash. I think the problem is that the books tend to be so dialogue driven and that there are a lot of characters to keep up with. Sometimes it is hard to keep up with who is speaking, and why they would be saying what they are saying. Sometimes the hidden meaning is hard to trace under all that Victorian propriety, too. Add to that the fact that the subject matter is the stuff of romance and relationships and you have a nightmare for a young boy who would rather be reading about battles and conquests of another kind.

No, actually I was laughing. I told dh that the board ladies were unanimous that it was a bad idea. While he was smirking at me, I read your post, & told him, "In fact, they say if I try it, I"ll ruin Austen for them forever." :lol:

I thought you were half-serious & half teasing me. Dh teases like that. And rephrases my ideas. Like this: "Oh, yes, Austen. I studied her in kindergarten." :lol: He tries not to laugh. I admire him for that. :glare::lol:

Anyway, we're going to do Math Bingo instead. And maybe get a book about Prince Edward Island to go w/ AGG. I've laid Austen down, & I'm backing away slowly...:leaving:

You are so sweet. We all get those ideas now and then! I have had some doozies in my time! Now don't entirely lay Austen down! You have to enjoy it yourself!! :D

Not all children's literature is easy to understand as a quick read. When, ds was 8, I read The Gammage Cup: A Novel of the Minnipins by Carol Kendall out loud as part of a book club it took a lot of time to get started. The initial chapters were detailing so many characters that we had to create a chart to keep it all straight. We kept "trudging" through and we loved it once we established the characters.

Also, Jane wrote here first novel when she was twenty. She was working on manuscripts in her teens. So, I don't think life experience is a qualifier for Austen. You can defiantly tell the difference in her opinions between P&P and Persuasion.

P&P has a young idealistic perspective on love and marriage. In Persuasion the heroine sees herself as "too old" for marriage and resigns herself to her lot in life, till Wentworth finds out she still loves him.