Menu

Any experience with a yearbook for a co-op?

Our local co-op is talking about making a yearbook this year. I've done some research and trying to decide what route to take, if any. 

Anyone have experience? Resources or websites you've found helpful? 

2 hours ago, Clarita said:

My children's small school used treering. Some other parent graciously decided to lead that effort so this is all I know.

Our previous co-op also used treering 

Edited by freesia

Depending on the size of the co-op, it might be worthwhile including Yearbook Committee as a co-op elective.  That way there's a small group of people all year working on the project and it's less overwhelming at the end.  They could report on and take photos of other subjects/experiences they're a part of, and committee time could be used to teach some journalism/photography skills as well as to take them through the process of planning and publishing the book.

• Like 1

Ours uses PicabooYearbook. We have a team of high schoolers and a parent leader working on it all year. Parents order online and can add pages cheaply if they want personalized pages at the end. Then they all ship to the yearbook editor/leader, who distributes them at a year-end event. 

• Like 1

Welcome! I see by your post count you are new. At our homeschool co-op, we have a Yearbook "class" or "club" that puts together a yearbook for the large homeschool support group, of which the co-op is just one small part. She kindly shared with me what they do. She uses Picaboo, but is NOT a rep and is not trying to sell you on them -- just explaining that is what she uses, and how she uses it. Hope this helps. Have fun!

"Before the year starts, those who signed up receive an email with meeting dates, the time and this note: 'Please bring a laptop to classes as most of the work is online. We have been able to do some work through an iPad and even attached a keyboard and mouse. If you do not
have access to a laptop, please let me know. Regular attendance is expected but if you have a valid conflict, please just let me know
so we can plan accordingly…'"

She continues with this explanation of what she does:

"I have been using Picaboo Yearbooks (https://www.picabooyearbooks.com/) for the past 5 years and I’ve been very happy with the experience and the product. Their website has plenty of helpful info but I will share some highlights here, as well as tips on how I’ve personally organized the yearbook in past years.

Picaboo has tutorial videos and articles that can be helpful for an advisor and shared in a class setting. Online program includes a wide variety of backgrounds, templates, stickers, etc. Those that like to create their own backgrounds or images are welcome to upload them directly into the program.

Orders are set up through an online store with Picaboo. Each family orders and pays through the online store so I am not responsible for collecting money. Once I submit the orders for printing, I have had them arrive within 2-3 weeks.

Our yearbooks typically run 120-150 pages and I like to have a class size of 10-12 students, grades 6-12. We meet 1-2 times during the first semester so that we can see who’s in the class and brainstorm some plans for the year. During second semester, we usually meet weekly
for 60-90 minutes to begin working on the yearbook. By this time, we have gathered a good amount of photos so that everyone has something to work on.

I created a new email address just for yearbook use. I send out information to families to share photos with me throughout the year to my designated email.

During first semester, I work on the yearbook outline and set it up in my yearbook advisor account. I create a ladder diagram using a template from Picaboo though you can search for your own template option. The layout may adjust some throughout the year as events are added, canceled, or have more or less pictures than you expected. I pass out the ladder document in class and let each student sign themselves up for 2
pages they would like to design first. This is an easy way to make sure each student gets a page they would like and I can see unclaimed pages to assign as students are ready.

On the first day of class, each student creates an account with Picaboo based on their email address. As advisor, I input their address into the account which then sends out a link to each email to join my team. I can assign each person access anywhere from one section to the entire book. I review an online tutorial through Picaboo and review some key tips on using the software. I start with basics of choosing background, how to add pictures, etc. In following weeks, I will add an extra technique or skill for them to try and then we proceed with working on pages.

Class time can fun when everyone chats about pictures and past events! I encourage students to take more than one day for each page so that they have a chance to come back and review. We also do peer reviews in class. Students are able to mark a page as “ready to review” when it’s ready for me. I will lock pages as they finish or make note of suggestions for changes to discuss at the next class or I email student directly.

We offer one page to each graduating senior. I communicate with senior parents during the year to find out if they want to use their page. If so, I use parent email to assign a page and parent or student will design their page. You will likely need to follow up to be sure parents are signing in and give deadline. It’s a great way to honor the seniors, share special thoughts, memories, blessings, etc.

Another great feature with Picaboo is the personalized pages option. Many families love this feature! For a small added fee, 4-12 pages can be added to individual orders to include any photos or other details that will be printed in ONLY that book. This makes every book personal for those who want to put it the extra effort.

As a yearbook class we discuss some theme ideas for cover, often based off a Bible verse. We open up a contest in our group to design an image (drawing, painting, ditigal art, photography, etc.) based off our theme that goes on our front cover. We started offering a free yearbook to the winner a couple of years ago and that brought in more entries. I use an anonymous vote from cross section of our group to choose the final
image. I take the other entries and have printed them on back cover or on a 2 page spread within the book so that all entries are featured.

I have a couple of parent editors who review the entire book before being published.

I let students design a majority of the pages but I prefer to do the student portrait pages and graduation pages as they are more formal. For student portraits, I ask for a headshot of each student to be emailed to me, along with their name, age/grade. I organize them in my book by Prek-Elementary, Middle School, and High School. This tends to organize nicely and eliminates some of the confusion when kids aren’t sure what grade they’re in. We do a family section that includes a picture from each family who sends one in. This helps to put faces with names."

• Like 2

Ours has use Jostens, the same company that many schools use.  But, we are a large co-op (over 300 students) which matters because...either you have to buy a certain number or the rate changes if you don't buy enough - I don't remember.