Menu

Skills your kids are learning over the summer

We mostly homeschool during the public school year. Our summer is July & August. That being said my kids always find something cool to learn/facilitate. 

This summer my 6yo decided to try cursive handwriting. My 11yo son has become a huge help in the garden, basically taking over the care. My 14yo has started sewing clothing, after many years of bags, pillows and scrunchies. 

• Like 1

Ds is learning to run errands for me now that he has a vehicle! 😎

And how to play outside linebacker (football coach changed his position). 🏈

He’s improving in his note-taking skills, thanks to his APUS teacher. 

He has hopefully learned a bit about money since he paid several thousand dollars towards his car and also has to replace the chromebook he lost.  

• Like 2

Dd- swimming lessons all summer (getting over a huge fear), fiddling, singing lessons, scout stuff, volunteering with the promise of a job if it’s a good fit and very light summer school

Ds- did a summer math class at Athena’s and loved it, but now his other math is too boring 😅he loved the theorems (and oh man, I just had to ask him how to spell theorems as spell check wasn’t helping me, I’m so in trouble!) and all the new ways to think about math, he is doing really well overcoming shyness and went to a day camp for a week, drawing, and very light summer school

summer is going so fast!

• Like 1

My oldest (16) is learning shorthand and about filmmaking, my middle (13) is doing woodworking, learning about boatbuilding and improving handwriting, and my youngest (10) did a manga camp, which was her first weeklong overnight camp.