Menu

When a service company screws up

what remedy do you expect?

Our trash company has changed hands twice in under 2 years. The most recent was Dec/Jan-ish. I enrolled in automatic billing with all 3 companies, all 3 times.

So, July 4th was Thursday, and our pick ups are usually Friday, but always 1 day later on holiday weeks. Saturday, our recycling got picked up, but not our very full trash. Of course their office is closed on weekends, and we were entertaining both days, so we have our stinky old trash and lots of new trash. Dh sent an email Sun night and the response was sent JUST before closing on Monday.

The response was that our service was suspended as of 6/25 for non-payment of January and February bills. 🤔 Going through my records, it does look like there were no payments made for those months. But since then, I’ve been getting emails reminding me that my automatic payment was coming up for $49.XX, and emailed receipts for $49.XX. No mentions of other monies owed, no declined payments, no messages of suspending service.

I finally get through on the phone and they’re just like, “yeah, there was a glitch when the company took over. Can I have your cc info?”   
I give it and I ask when someone will come get my enormous amounts of holiday heatwave garbage, and he says Friday. 😒 They can’t get anyone over sooner. But, hey, they’ll pick up extra bags even though they’re not supposed to take anything outside of the bin!

So I didn’t *really do anything wrong, I’m just realizing I’ve now paid for a month even with a missed week, and I’m swimming in trash while it’s super hot.

This does not feel like customer service.

That's rough. But they picked up for 2 months even though they had screwed up and didn't think you were paying??? In my previous house, where I had to contract trash service myself, there just weren't many choices.l. If they have been good outside of this incident I guess just grit your teeth (or plug your nose) and let it go.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Miss Tick said:

That's rough. But they picked up for 2 months even though they had screwed up and didn't think you were paying??? In my previous house, where I had to contract trash service myself, there just weren't many choices.l. If they have been good outside of this incident I guess just grit your teeth (or plug your nose) and let it go.

Right?!? How do we get to July (well, June for them) and NOW, with my card on file for auto pay, I’m a problem?

But yeah, there are very few options, and none are all that great.

• Like 1

I just roll with that kind of thing. When we moved and had copious boxes, I had months of full garbage cans (2 regular cans plus a recycling can). It was stressful. The trucks never came soon enough. lol And during that time there were snow events that caused delays and holidays and a problem at the dump. Now we are back to using about half a can a week, so it would be easier to weather a missed week and it wouldn't be stressful. 

If you pay for trash service but do not have a choice in companies (like where I live), I'd just let this go. Because they're not too worried about losing customers, lol, and it seems like it would be a pain. 

Do you have to pay to use the dump? We can at least do that for free, but of course you really need a truck. 

3 hours ago, katilac said:

Do you have to pay to use the dump? We can at least do that for free, but of course you really need a truck. 

There is a station in another town that takes $1/bag. Many of our friends use that option, but they have trucks.

We have a free spot for extra recycling, which is great because our recycling is clean! But the recycling truck accidentally picked ours up out of habit, lol.