Menu

Easy to use 7th grade grammar

We are coming from Ace Pace grammar.  We need something straight-forward, independent, and l less time intensive for the student than ACE.

I think we will be using Jump In for writing, so writing does not need to he part of the curriculum.

If you're not opposed to Christian curriculum, Rod & Staff English is excellent. It was recommended in the first 2 or 3 editions of TWTM. It's inexpensive and straight forward. It resells well too. One thing to know is it's written for a school setting so there are A LOT of exercises. Depending on what the exercise is or if your student doesn't need the extra practice, you can have them complete 5 questions from each section, 10, or all. You can view the curriculum here:

https://www.milestonebooks.com/item/1-127--/?list=Building_Christian_English_Series

:smile:

• Like 2

I am not in the "grammar every year" camp.  If the student has had a good grounding already, why not leave it out this year?  However, if you feel you need something light for review, I have found Easy Grammar lives up to its name.  Five minutes a day, no writing component.

• Like 2

We had too many intense subjects going at once last year and needed a year off from intense grammar, so my kid did Grammar Cop for 6th grade. It was easy and I just checked his work every day casually. I think it helped him be more prepared for a standardized test we gave him last month, because it let him pay attention to the little things like apostrophes. 

This year we're back to Grammar for the Well Trained Mind and it's going better, probably because he's older! It's also pretty open and go, but I do administer each lesson. 

• Like 1

ACE is notorious for being a "spoon-fed" curriculum, where the material is quite a bit below the cognitive skills of the student and meant to be entirely independent without any assistance, only grading.

I don't know if there is a grammar out there that compares, and I think all would be preferable.  You might try CLE Language Arts and omit the creative writing assignments that are added in. But you should look at the scope and sequence, get a feel with samples, and possibly go back 2-3 years, depending on how long you used ACE.

On 6/21/2024 at 6:47 PM, tld said:

We are coming from Ace Pace grammar.  We need something straight-forward, independent, and l less time intensive for the student than ACE.

I think we will be using Jump In for writing, so writing does not need to he part of the curriculum.

My favorite has long been Easy Grammar (EG Plus for a 12yo) It doesn't do diagramming, so you'd need to look at something like Analytical Grammar if diagramming is important to you. But EGP can be done in one year, if you do two or three pages daily; and then you can move on, because there are only eight parts of speech and some thingummies like gerunds, so no one should have to do grammar every year for 12 years, you know? Do a good year of grammar, then put it to use.

• Like 1