Menu

Tipping wedding vendors?

saw

DD is getting married in May, and I'm trying to figure out who gets tipped and how much. Several of the vendors have already included their tips in the contracts that I've already, but the contract for the site for the reception does not specify. This is for the use of the space for the reception; we don't have a wedding coordinator there, and all the food, flowers, etc are being brought in. I expect to tip the caterers and will check whether the tip goes to the wait staff. For the venue, I've looked online and can't quite figure out what protocol is. I would be happy to tip the person we've been dealing with a couple hundred, but tipping 20% on top of the fee for the use of space is rather a lot more money. What is usual? 

35 minutes ago, Katy said:

You’re just renting the venue, there’s no staff? I don’t think you need to tip them at all. 

I like this answer. I think the caterers provide staff, and the venue provides set up but no staff who stays or serves plates or anything. I will probably tip the person at the venue who has coordinated the venue stuff but would rather not pay 20% on top of the venue fee.

2 minutes ago, Arcadia said:

I would give a small tip to the janitor who has to unlock the venue and lock up after. 

Good point! I suspect that there is no janitor and that the person doing that is the person we've been dealing with over the last few months (who I was going to tip anyway) but will confirm. 

If you want to tip it would be whatever you want to the staff. It is not 20% of the total cost. I don't know what it is but I calculated 20% of total cost for mine and everyone said it was too much and returned a bunch of cash to me. I guess if they have a break down of cost then maybe it's 20% of the staff cost.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, saw said:
3 hours ago, Arcadia said:

I would give a small tip to the janitor who has to unlock the venue and lock up after. 

Good point! I suspect that there is no janitor and that the person doing that is the person we've been dealing with over the last few months (who I was going to tip anyway) but will confirm. 

Anyway you may or may not have access to this person. You can ask what the protocol for this is and hope everyone is honest. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Clarita said:

Anyway you may or may not have access to this person. You can ask what the protocol for this is and hope everyone is honest. 

I agree. However, if the janitor has to come early just to open up the venue for my event or stay late to close up, I would want to give a tip as appreciation. I have met many janitors who were kind enough not to rush us as everyone is helping to clean up the area. I have also encountered janitors who gave us a sulky look even before the event time is up. 

Edited by Arcadia
typo
  • Like 3

We just paid 20%, but they (the venue) catered the food, ran the buffet line, set up the tables and chairs, and supplied the bartender, too.  Figured it was for paying the help.  She also helped us gather up our table decorations since no one was at the bar.  This venue was 1/2 the cost of other venues.  Worth the cost.  It was a great experience.

Edited by Tina
  • Like 1