Menu

Need to decide on a computer science course

The college my daughter wants to go to has an entry requirement that students either take a computer course or pass a computer competency exam. My daughter would much rather pass the test and has asked for a computer science class next year (her senior year) that will ensure she knows everything she needs to know. Upon inquiry, I’ve been told that the test will cover:

computer hardware, system software, application software, social impact, technology and the web, networks and security and privacy.

Dual enrollment isn’t an option for us for a number of reasons.
Would AP Computer Science Principles cover those things sufficiently? I realize it would cover more too, just wanted to know if it would at least cover the minimum she needs too. 
My other thought was to use materials on edu.gcfglobal.org to piece together a course.

or is there another option you would recommend?

Does she have to wait until she is enrolled to take it?  Can she take it more than once?  

My older daughter had to take a computer competency test before she could start community college classes. She took it without preparing. It was aimed more at adults who may not be familiar with computers, and might struggle with simple things like email or word processing, not at teens who have been using computers since preK.

6 hours ago, jplain said:

Does she have to wait until she is enrolled to take it?  Can she take it more than once?  

My older daughter had to take a computer competency test before she could start community college classes. She took it without preparing. It was aimed more at adults who may not be familiar with computers, and might struggle with simple things like email or word processing, not at teens who have been using computers since preK.

Good question, but we are 4 hours away from them so it would not be easy to take it ahead of time.