Menu

Daughter has trouble drawing or writing on right side of paper

My 14 year old has recently complained it's tougher for her to write or draw in the right side of a sheet of paper. Very stumped by this one. I will be taking her to the eye doctor but found this site and was hoping people would have ideas? 

13 hours ago, Joslyn said:

My 14 year old has recently complained it's tougher for her to write or draw in the right side of a sheet of paper. Very stumped by this one. I will be taking her to the eye doctor but found this site and was hoping people would have ideas? 

I would make sure you take her to a developmental optometrist. You can find one on COVD.org. They will do a more thorough exam. If something is at play with how her eyes move, they view many of these issues as brain based and can offer targeted vision therapy. Some of that therapy is very evidence-based (convergence) and some of it is less so.

My son had mild strabismus from convergence insufficiency that the regular optometrist brushed off, but vision therapy was nothing short of life-changing for him. My other son has incomplete visual development (two lazy eyes), and it was also life-changing though not curative as it was with my other son’s strabismus.

• 2 weeks later...

Is this a new thing? If so, I would make a dr appointment asap. Could be sign of stroke or other brain damage.

If this has always been a problem, then yes to getting vision exam. There are several possible vision issues that could be in play beyond the previous post. 

• 5 weeks later...

If this is a new thing, get to a doctor, and push for a MRI.

I don't want to freak you out, but as the parent of a kid who had a brain tumor, this is sending up a parade of red flags with red flags hoisted on top of them.

Our pediatric ophthalmologist caught our dd's brain tumor--but the optometrist we saw the week before did not.  You need the MRI to definitively say there is nothing neurological going on.

5 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

If this is a new thing, get to a doctor, and push for a MRI.

I don't want to freak you out, but as the parent of a kid who had a brain tumor, this is sending up a parade of red flags with red flags hoisted on top of them.

Our pediatric ophthalmologist caught our dd's brain tumor--but the optometrist we saw the week before did not.  You need the MRI to definitively say there is nothing neurological going on.

You might want to try PM'ing her, as I see this was a first post and she hasn't visited the site again since, but a PM would hopefully land in her email box.