Menu

Social Skills Programs???

dtsmamtj

Anyone ever use a social skills computer program to enhance your child's ability to interact with others? If so, I would appreciate your thoughts on what you know.

I have looked at a few "social story books" but they fall short in my opinion. These would be things that you and I would just "know" and catch on too but a child with a learning disability has to be specific taught.

T

I purchased several DVD's from Model Me Kids which I found great. Also I purchased some social skills videos from teach2talk which I also founnd useful. My son is a very talkative, bright 6 year old who is a little socially awkward. He may have asperger's but we are holding off on a diagnosis since no specific therapies have been recommended and were told that it is very mild if it is there. I wish you well:)

I haven't bought any social skills software, but my son took social skills classes a couple of years ago. They helped him tremendously. The program used by the organization who ran the classes is based on the book by Cathi Cohen, "Raise Your Child's Social IQ". http://www.insteppc.com/

I think the reason the classes were so effective for my son was that he was able to practice the skills with other children in the class. He wasn't just lectured at. I think you could do this at home with family members or friends.

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...