Menu

none

CamperMom

I’m really sorry. I don’t have good advice beyond seeing the doctor, but wanted to say I experienced a sudden change in hearing like that once, where certain sounds were very loud and amplified in my ear and others were very far away. It was extremely disconcerting and I’m sorry you’re dealing with that. Mine was triggered by a very stressful acute event and my understanding is that certain muscles can sometimes spasm in response to stress and affect the ear drum. Mine went away after a couple days. I hope yours will resolve soon. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CamperMom said:

Scholastica:

When I laid down on the ultrasound table my hearing was normal.  When I got off of the ultrasound table my hearing was no longer normal.  It was an instant change.

I am looking for healing information.

I understood what you were saying. I would consult an ENT who has an audiologist on staff to diagnose the problem and see what can be done to help you heal. The ENT can look at structural issues or changes, the audiologist can measure what and how much you’ve lost. They can get you on a treatment plan to hopefully restore it, or barring that, get you hearing aids. 

• Like 2

I would be wondering if there was something positional that happened in the ear with holding what can sometimes be awkward positions on the table for long periods. Either way I agree with the ENT and audiologist suggestion. When I had my issue, I found at least some comfort from warm compresses over the ear. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, KSera said:

I would be wondering if there was something positional that happened in the ear with holding what can sometimes be awkward positions on the table for long periods. Either way I agree with the ENT and audiologist suggestion. When I had my issue, I found at least some comfort from warm compresses over the ear. 

A trustworthy chiropractor would be on my list of possible ways to rule things out too. 

• Like 1

I have been very curious about what could make this happen after an ultrasound, and so far I haven’t been able to find any studies that connect it to diagnostic ultrasounds, but interestingly (and unnervingly) a number of reports of this happening to people right after ultrasonic dental scaling.  That seems more related to episodes where the instrument hits the tooth in a way to cause very audible and/or painful vibrations in the inner ear, and then sound is distorted afterward. 

Wanted to throw out recent Covid infection as well, as tinnitus is a well known post acute effect that happens to some people. The timing seems weird with the abrupt onset on getting up from the table, but I felt I should at least mention it in case it’s relevant to your situation.

• Like 1