Menu

RC cars

Elizabeth86

Anyone know much about them? With Christmas behind me , it’s time to start planning for my 3 winter birthday kids. My soon to be 11 year old son has been asking for an rc car. I’m looking for a pretty decent one that will hopefully tackle more rough terrain instead of a smooth flat surface. Can I get some brand suggestions? Am I going to be able to get one for $100-ish?

I've got a 12yo DS and my advice would be to get a hobby grade RC car so you can replace parts. Traxxas and Horizon Hobby (Losi, Arrma and Axial) are names I know and I've bought parts for all of them. If you can get to a hobby store, they can help you choose. My DS says Traxxas and Axial are the most reliable in his opinion. There are 2 types for driving - crawlers that climb stuff and rock racers that go fast. You don't want to get anything too quick for their reflexes. (My parents did that and my son - who was 10 at the time - tried to run it around the pool deck but it was a 30mph car and he ran it straight into the pool.) The hobby store people are fantastic guidance. We've also had some good luck with RC cars from Amazon and AliExpress but can't always get parts for them and it's hit or miss whether they are good. You can find YouTube videos for how to care for the RC cars. My DS and DH always make sure to clean off any mud and dry all the parts before putting them away. I think you can definitely get a great car for $100ish.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, CTVKath said:

I've got a 12yo DS and my advice would be to get a hobby grade RC car so you can replace parts. Traxxas and Horizon Hobby (Losi, Arrma and Axial) are names I know and I've bought parts for all of them. If you can get to a hobby store, they can help you choose. My DS says Traxxas and Axial are the most reliable in his opinion. There are 2 types for driving - crawlers that climb stuff and rock racers that go fast. You don't want to get anything too quick for their reflexes. (My parents did that and my son - who was 10 at the time - tried to run it around the pool deck but it was a 30mph car and he ran it straight into the pool.) The hobby store people are fantastic guidance. We've also had some good luck with RC cars from Amazon and AliExpress but can't always get parts for them and it's hit or miss whether they are good. You can find YouTube videos for how to care for the RC cars. My DS and DH always make sure to clean off any mud and dry all the parts before putting them away. I think you can definitely get a great car for $100ish.

All of this

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, sweet2ndchance said:

This one is the one that dh has for ds11 to use unsupervised. They take their rc's everywhere and he says this one can take almost anything but is still kid friendly. 

https://www.amazon.com/HBX-Electric-Controller-Waterproof-Off-Road/dp/B073PVRSDL?ref=d6k_applink_bb_dls_failed&dplnkId=a2e30cfa-9ac4-424e-9f18-b65b5c286d2b

Perfect! Thank you so so much!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sweet2ndchance said:

This one is the one that dh has for ds11 to use unsupervised. They take their rc's everywhere and he says this one can take almost anything but is still kid friendly. 

https://www.amazon.com/HBX-Electric-Controller-Waterproof-Off-Road/dp/B073PVRSDL?ref=d6k_applink_bb_dls_failed&dplnkId=a2e30cfa-9ac4-424e-9f18-b65b5c286d2b

Ok my DS got a different model of this brand for Christmas and is loving it. So far, so good and no issues.

• Like 2