Menu

Do you have an outdoor patio heater?

DawnM

2 hours ago, DawnM said:

Tell me what to look for or maybe it doesn't matter?

What do you have?    What do you like/not like about it?

Tell me if I am overthinking this.   

I don't think you are overthinking. The biggest consideration is how will you use it. Do you need something for brief warming? Do you want something robust enough to remain cozy for long periods? What fuels are readily available and affordable? Propane is standard but in some areas down south VERY pricey. What are the restrictions where you live? A stone fireplace and a face cord of wood can be very practical but some townships, especially close to towns, may restricts back yard fires.

We have a chiminea style fireplace, ceramic which radiates heat and stays warm longer than the cheap metal ones, and it sets on pavers close enough to the back door of the house to be convenient yet not close enough to the wall to be a fire hazard. To be honest, the unit really would not be a problem if it was closer since the back part of the house is entirely stone over cement block walls. Still, we observe all the standard precautions. It radiates enough heat to make chilly nights in the spring and autumn quite nice to sit out with throw blankets, but without an enclosed patio, it is not enough to come close to allowing us to sit out during Michigan winters. We would need one of those restaurant, patio igloos.

• Like 1

I have one of those propane pole things. I got it for free 10 years ago. I haven't used it ever. 

For us it's because there's plenty of time when the weather is warm to be outside. I know other people use their heat patio heaters more often near me, but the way my patio is it's either just too cold to be out there or it's fine without the heater.

• Like 1

We have had two, and are shopping for a third.

I prefer the type that is not the “high hat” style, so we are looking for the tall pyramid type now. I’m sure it has drawbacks, too, but I can only speak to the style that looks like a hat on a pole, with a larger base for the propane.

IME, the high hat style absolutely must be anchored down if you aren’t going to wheel it around in between uses, in case of wind gusts. If not in a protected area, it will blow over, most likely not while in use (you’re probably not going to be outside while it’s that windy), but it will damage the heater and bend the “hat” deflector. 

Also, the “hat” deflector will collect snow, and if enough snow falls before you shovel it off — the weight will bend the “hat.” We discovered that one unfortunate morning after a storm.

My preference is to keep our seating area set up and ready for guests, so I did not always wheel the heater to a protected area. Alas. 

We are also looking for a smaller, lower heater for use inside a pavilion. We may make that into our primary winter seating area if we can find an appropriate heater.

• Like 2

Infrared electric heaters seem to be fairly energy efficient. There are some on stands, and one or two who hang overhead. I think one thing to consider is heat rises so some consideration needs to be given to how to circulate heat because a single unit pointed at the ground will likely warm the air for one person which is great when using it along, but limiting.