Menu

Thanksgiving update

Lecka

It was okay.

I made everything I wanted and I’m so glad I did.  I got a comment about bringing so much food, but did not hang around in the kitchen.  We put our dishes down and I went outside to admire my mom’s flowers.  

I avoided my uncle and BIL, and I was not friendly.  Usually I feel like I should be friendly.  This is what I hate as I get stuck listening to them complain.  I walked past them with a neutral look, like I was on my way to do something.  

We also (my husband and I) called some people for Thanksgiving, from outside, so we just skipped some of the chatting time.

My aunt complimented two of my dishes, it was very nice of her.  I think she may not have known that I knew how to cook properly.  Anyway, she was very nice and I appreciated it.  

My nieces brought their boyfriends, which I think helped the dynamic.  It was nice to have some more people there.  

I personally am glad I brought more food, because the younger people do eat more!

My kids’ favorite was the macaroni and cheese.  

We left after 2 hours, which is cut short compared to how long we would usually stay.  I think this was a good choice for us.  

I went back over, went for a walk with my mom, and spent time chatting with my parents.  My mom really likes to do a post-meal walk, and I do, too.  

My mom was so happy to have everyone there.  She did not seem to mind that we left on the early side.  It turned out my nieces had plans to go to their boyfriends’ families afterward, and that my 18yo son had made plans to eat at his friends’ house afterward (his friend came in and ate a plate of food, too).  

The shorter time seems like something that will work.  We left before dessert.  

I did legitimately want to get my leftovers home and into the refrigerator.  I made a huge batch of Texas caviar, because it’s what I felt like having, and I didn’t want it to sit out too long.  

My step-dad said he would take my kids home if they wanted to stay for dessert, but they were ready to go home, too.  I thought that was nice, though, it is a good option.  

• Like 19