Menu

So….what is on your menu for Thanksgiving?

Indigo Blue

On 11/15/2023 at 4:11 PM, PinkTulip said:

I’m doing Thanksgiving this Sunday with my kiddos because they’ll be with their dad on the actual day. There will just be 6 of us, so it’s hard to make a ton of food when several of them are picky eaters. I’ll make: roast Turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, mashed sweet potatoes, green beans, stuffing, cranberry sauce, homemade rolls, and then Costco pumpkin and apple pies with vanilla ice cream. 

There will be a ton of leftovers, but we’ll eat it for the rest of the week. 

My kind of plan!  Thanksgiving Day it will be dd and maybe her fiance with us, but I'm thinking ds and his family may come sometime on the weekend.  Who knows, maybe the shop will be closed Friday, too!  So

turkey breast

mashed potatoes and gravy

dressing

green bean casserole

a baked sweet potato for me'

jellied cranberry sauce for dh, and gf df cranberry fluff for the rest of us.  It was a big hit last year.

homemade rolls- found a new recipe with honey in it

Dh likes apple pie, and  I'd like a coconut cream pie, I think.  

Dd cooked the pumpkins she'd bought, and I pureed the best I could.  And then I read that real pumpkins are lousy for baking, to use squash like the canned pumpkin is.   Debating on trying some for cinnamon chip pumpkin scones.  Might ruin the chips. lol

• Like 3

I am hosting for  the 1st time in about 10 years!

There will be 20 and we live in a smallish home now. Not sure how that is going to work. [there was only going to be 16 , which was doable . I will put littles at  the island…4 more are now coming…not sure where they sitting!)

Turkey, dressing and gravy.

Mashed potatoes

sweet potatoes

scalloped corn casserole (maybe)

cranberry sauce (out of the can…Dh grew up with it ..it’s easy)

crescent dinner rolls

DIL is bringing broccoli salad

I will do rolls, family Cheesetorte recipe and mashed potatoes ahead of time. Wednesday I will prep the stuffing and figure out seating. DH is working for my brother but I have requested he be home  at least a Tuesday and Wednesday to help.

After dinner at 1 , cleanup and then we move to my DD, 5 mins away. She will do dessert, snacks etc for the rest of the day. I have  no room to spread out …she does.

I am looking forward to leftovers! Something we missed when my Dds and DIL took over hosting duties. 

• Like 2

On 11/14/2023 at 12:20 PM, 73349 said:

We often have a chicken, but I decided to plan a vegetarian menu this year. Between lunch and dinner, we will have...

• our usual crustless pumpkin pie
  • the Blue Zones 1620 succotash recipe
  • apple sage tempeh
  • Molly Patrick's edamame and cranberry quinoa salad
  • carrot-nut bread
  • probably canned cranberry sauce.

Reporting back, the succotash was good (I used navy beans) but I will use less turnip next time, and it takes longer to cook than the recipe says. And wrestling a raw acorn squash was not my favorite--might use frozen cubed butternut next time.

Jane Esselstyn's apple sage tempeh is easy enough to make for a weekday lunch.

We did indeed used canned cranberry sauce, and it was much enjoyed.

I'm going to relax for a bit before working on dinner.

• Like 1

I’m living vicariously. It all sounds wonderful. I am feeling very fortunate that my brother in law invited us to his house this year. I’ve been sick all week, so I can’t imagine having it here. I made a buttermilk pie and a broccoli casserole this morning to send. I delegated the corn casserole to my oldest dd. All very easy recipes. They all just left, and I’m back in bed. 

About to look up 3 corn casserole.

eta: it’s the same as my corn casserole lol

Edited by popmom
  • Like 1