Menu

A bit off topic -- anyone have a kid/contact who would be able to help DS in multivariable calc for one or two sessions?

saw

Not entirely college related but thought the college group might have more suggestions. DS17 joined a MV calc class five weeks into the term and is trying to catch up on the work. He's good at math but thinks he needs some extra help with a few of the problems. We've asked a flaky relative who is a math teacher but haven't heard back and poor DS is worried about the hw. Does anyone's math kid have a bit of time for some (paid ofc) tutoring? 

I know the logical response to this is to ask why the instructor cannot provide DS with some catch-up help and the answer is that the instructor refuses to help and says DS needs to learn to teach himself using sources like YouTube. Fancy-pants expensive school has been notified of this response and I am planning to throw a figurative fit as appropriate.

If anyone has suggestions, I'd really appreciate it. 

• Like 2

@saw I don't think it's fair to bash the instructor. They have their normal teaching load, and providing additional tutoring to a student who joined five weeks late may just not be possible. Our school doesn't permit such late addition, but even students who are adding two weks late would be expected to catch up on their own and not expect the professor to tutor them on material that had already been covered. The professor providing resources to the student, such as online videos, is an appropriate level of assistance. They already taught the material and can't be expected to reteach to a student who missed a month of class.

I am surprised your school permits adding at all after a third of term has already passed. That can only create problems. 

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 6

10 minutes ago, regentrude said:

@saw I don't think it's fair to bash the instructor. They have their normal teaching load, and providing additional tutoring to a student who joined five weeks late may just not be possible. Our school doesn't permit such late addition, but even students who are adding two weks late would be expected to catch up on their own and not expect the professor to tutor them on material that had already been covered. The professor providing resources to the student, such as online videos, is an appropriate level of assistance. They already taught the material and can't be expected to reteach to a student who missed a month of class.

I am surprised your school permits adding at all after a third of term has already passed. That can only create problems. 

We expressed doubts about the initial math placement months ago when applying and were repeatedly assured that it would be fine. After several weeks the instructor decided that actually it wasn't fine, so this was really on the school. They claimed they were familiar with my son's math qualification but were not. The instructor was, as it turned out, and realized that the placement was wrong after teaching my son for a few weeks. 

I did not say that we expect the school to tutor my son to make us what he missed; he has reviewed the material himself and has some "normal" questions that he wants clarification on, nothing more than he would have had he been in school. This is a private school that has told us repeatedly that they provide support outside of the classroom to students and encourage students to contact teachers with questions. Apparently that's what we're paying for. 

I asked the teacher and the school whether we should ask the teacher, learning support or an outside tutor for help, and made it clear we were happy to hire outside help. The head of the program, when we asked if we should get an outside tutor to help my son catch up, specifically told us to ask the teacher for help first. Had she said to hire a tutor, that would have been okay too. If the teacher would have said that he has no time and recommended we hire a tutor, I would have been fine with that too. My objection is to being told that my son should just teach himself from YouTube. 

The professor has not provided videos, merely told my son to look on YouTube. My son would have been very happy to review class videos but wasn't offered these (these are supposed to be provided because this school has a lot of kids who regularly miss class and they cater to this group). 

As it happens, my son has been able to catch up on 5 weeks of homework in the last five days. He merely wants clarification on a few points that are somewhat unclear to ensure he has a solid basis going forward.