Menu

ISO educational apps that aren't cutsy

rose

Hey everybody. 👋  I haven't been around here in awhile but I always end up back here when I have a question.

I have found myself more and more convinced that cutesy media is really not helpful for children. I hate trying to find early elementary resources that aren't sickeningly sweet or cutesy. I'm sure that some of it is the cheapness of producing digital animations that are cute vs. videos of actual people that are capable of giving an age appropriate presentation. Despite the great activities even Khan Academy Kids app annoys me (and my kids). The saccharine "KHAN ACADEMY KIDS!!!" in the introduction makes my hair rise. I feel like it belittles children and even sometimes humiliates them. I figured I might find some support here to find alternative resources.

What I'm looking for are apps that are useful learning resources that have minimal cutesiness but are still able to engage young children. A few that I have found for young children that meet my requirements are GCompris, Tux Paint, and Scratch Jr.

What do you use?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

It has been many years, but youngest ds used Archimedes' Roost.  I'm not sure if it's still around even, but perhaps searching up other Montessori based apps might lead you in a direction you want.

Thanks!