Menu

6th grade subject load

What are your thoughts on this "class load" for a 6th grader?

Math: Mr. D. Pre-Algebra

ELA:  Daily work in vintage speller with dictation sentences/vocabulary/etc, Evan-Moor workbook on grammar and punctuation (we did MCT last year and figured we could have a lighter load), Pentime penmanship.  We have only done a few writing assignments over the last four weeks of school--very sparse.  We did a retelling of a fairytale and a few written narrations from science. I plan to have him do at least 1-2 written narrations each week from various subjects.

Literature:  we are alternating between English Fairy Tales and Lad:  A Dog.  Mostly, just reading. 

History: Alternating days between The Story of Canada and This Country of Ours.  We narrate and discuss.  Stories from the Golden Children's Bible at least 3-4 times per week.

Science:  daily reading one or two lessons from a nature lore book. We narrate and discuss.  

I was going to restart Latin, but I decided I didn't like the Minimus books as our main curriculum, so that is on hold.  He also is in Tae Kwon Do, so that would be his athletics.

I do feel like his load is pretty light.  He reads a bit on his own.  

We have no other output, really.  And even this is a battle.  I would say we're trying to read at least 20 pages per day, and I am not sure I am hitting that.  I am not great as requesting narrations because it turns into me clarifying or making sure they understand what we've read.  I do have a citizenship book and middle ages history books I'd love to incorporate, but I don't know how other than having him read them.  I would also like to do a review after 12 weeks or so and have an exam a la Charlotte Mason. 

Edited by Ting Tang

Does he really need separate spelling and penmanship? Without knowing the kid I'd drop those little extras and make writing the primary focus. Just narration for writing could get monotonous though. An actual writing book would offer various assignments to shake it up, and make it easier for him to just do whatever is next. I like Winning With Writing for this age. If he's average for his grade you can just grab the same number book, but the covers say level rather than grade so it's easy to back up if needed.

We totally just read and discuss for 6th grade literature though. I try to keep a wide variety of authors, genres, etc. 

I'm not sure why narrate and discuss are separate. We just discuss. 🤷‍♀️ If I recall correctly you drive a lot for extracurriculars? I drive someone to dance 5-6 days a week and that time in the car is great for distraction free discussions about their schooling. 

The history and science do sound lighter than what my little two did in 6th, but maybe that's just right for yours. If he's really balking maybe some more modern books would get him more engaged. It sounds like mostly older texts, which can feel dry to a kid. 🙂

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 3

Totally depends on the child:
- delays? advanced? average?
- interest level (or lack thereof 😉 ) in school and academics?
- "fit" of materials used for schooling?

Also, 6th grade can be a transitional stage for the child, as pre-adolescence and hormones start to kick in -- for boys especially: brain fog, forgetting they ever had seen the material before (lol), and loads of physical energy so very restless and less inclined towards formal schooling.

All that said, if you are doing a solid 4 hours of work per day 5 days a week, you're getting 20 hours/week of concentrated learning most weeks during your school year. I know some families here are able to be more rigorous and are able to do 1 hour per grade, so in 6th grade they're doing 6 hours of schooling a day. But again, you must look at the child before you -- what is reasonable for THIS child. (We were NOT able to do about 6 hours/day until 9th/10th grade here. So YMMV.)

The big picture goals for middle school (gr. 6-8) tend to be:
- solidify foundational / core subjects
- time for exploring interests
- introduce/work on study skills
- as appropriate, add some subjects (logic, typing, computer, foreign language...) to fill in for those subjects that are being finished up (spelling, grammar...)

If you feel your 6th grader is not doing enough, and is *capable* of doing more, perhaps start going a bit deeper in one or more ways:
- writing = explore writing his own blog entries or creating a newspaper/newsletter or creative writing; check out Cover Story
- literature = add Figuratively Speaking or other resource for learning literary elements to prep having a few "tools" for digging deeper into lit.
- literature = add a weekly "poetry and tea" time
- science = add some hands-on activities and maybe a very occasional simple lab report -- or use a TOPS unit and answer questions on the activity
- penmanship = replace handwriting with learning/practicing typing for future papers/essays

Or, add some additional subjects:
- foreign language = add a Latin program that will work for you both
- logic = add a gentle/beginning Logic resource
- art/music/drama = start lessons in art or musical instrument or voice; join a community youth theater; once a week, use an art program
- home ec = once a week do baking/cooking/meal; a beginning personal finance resource; learn basic auto maintenance; etc.
- electives = DS choose an activity of interest: computer coding; soldering electronic kits; robotics; woodworking; etc.

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 3

51 minutes ago, SilverMoon said:

Does he really need separate spelling and penmanship? Without knowing the kid I'd drop those little extras and make writing the primary focus. Just narration for writing could get monotonous though. An actual writing book would offer various assignments to shake it up, and make it easier for him to just do whatever is next. I like Winning With Writing for this age. If he's average for his grade you can just grab the same number book, but the covers say level rather than grade so it's easy to back up if needed.

We totally just read and discuss for 6th grade literature though. I try to keep a wide variety of authors, genres, etc. 

I'm not sure why narrate and discuss are separate. We just discuss. 🤷‍♀️ If I recall correctly you drive a lot for extracurriculars? I drive someone to dance 5-6 days a week and that time in the car is great for distraction free discussions about their schooling. 

The history and science do sound lighter than what my little two did in 6th, but maybe that's just right for yours. If he's really balking maybe some more modern books would get him more engaged. It sounds like mostly older texts, which can feel dry to a kid. 🙂

Yes, we spend a lot of time in the car! I separated discussion and narrating because I’m thinking of narration in the CM sense. I have looked at a few writing options for him and may add it.  Science is a tough one for us. I was looking for something he could do with his siblings and settled on this. We do enjoy it, but I feel we should do more. Oddly enough, history is what he enjoys most. If I add the Middle Ages and Citizenship books , maybe that will suffice? He’s very bright but would much rather go pick blades of grass outside one by one than do school. 

37 minutes ago, Lori D. said:

Totally depends on the child:
- delays? advanced? average?
- interest level (or lack thereof 😉 ) in school and academics?
- "fit" of materials used for schooling?

Also, 6th grade can be a transitional stage for the child, as pre-adolescence and hormones start to kick in -- for boys especially: brain fog, forgetting they ever had seen the material before (lol), and loads of physical energy so very restless and less inclined towards formal schooling.

All that said, if you are doing a solid 4 hours of work per day 5 days a week, you're getting 20 hours/week of concentrated learning most weeks during your school year. I know some families here are able to be more rigorous and are able to do 1 hour per grade, so in 6th grade they're doing 6 hours of schooling a day. But again, you must look at the child before you -- what is reasonable for THIS child. (We were NOT able to do about 6 hours/day until 9th/10th grade here. So YMMV.)

The big picture goals for middle school (gr. 6-8) tend to be:
- solidify foundational / core subjects
- time for exploring interests
- introduce/work on study skills
- as appropriate, add some subjects (logic, typing, computer, foreign language...) to fill in for those subjects that are being finished up (spelling, grammar...)

If you feel your 6th grader is not doing enough, and is *capable* of doing more, perhaps start going a bit deeper in one or more ways:
- writing = explore writing his own blog entries or creating a newspaper/newsletter or creative writing; check out Cover Story
- literature = add Figuratively Speaking or other resource for learning literary elements to prep having a few "tools" for digging deeper into lit.
- literature = add a weekly "poetry and tea" time
- science = add some hands-on activities and maybe a very occasional simple lab report -- or use a TOPS unit and answer questions on the activity
- penmanship = replace handwriting with learning/practicing typing for future papers/essays

Or, add some additional subjects:
- foreign language = add a Latin program that will work for you both
- logic = add a gentle/beginning Logic resource
- art/music/drama = start lessons in art or musical instrument or voice; join a community youth theater; once a week, use an art program
- home ec = once a week do baking/cooking/meal; a beginning personal finance resource; learn basic auto maintenance; etc.
- electives = DS choose an activity of interest: computer coding; soldering electronic kits; robotics; woodworking; etc.

He’s very bright but resists a lot of a school work. I think he has other things on his mind, but I have a nagging feeling we’re not doing enough. I also worry I’m not able to support a whole lot more, with four full time learners. I am considering a writing program and extra history perhaps? I feel we did more school when we started homeschooling with Abeka and him in the 3rd grade way back when. I’m struggling now that life is more normal and not pandemic-y. Thank you for your suggestions! 

3 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

Yes, we spend a lot of time in the car! I separated discussion and narrating because I’m thinking of narration in the CM sense. I have looked at a few writing options for him and may add it.  Science is a tough one for us. I was looking for something he could do with his siblings and settled on this. We do enjoy it, but I feel we should do more. Oddly enough, history is what he enjoys most. If I add the Middle Ages and Citizenship books , maybe that will suffice? He’s very bright but would much rather go pick blades of grass outside one by one than do school. 

That car time is valuable! I start with whichever kid is getting dropped off first and round on the next one after that. It's really just a "So what'd you learn in your history book today?" starter. 

Maybe keep the family science and history if it's working well and give him something he can do on his own too. Science kits if he likes hands on, something on the internet that might feel more big kid, etc. I'd try asking him how he'd make those subjects better. Some kids that age will just shrug but some have really good insight. For my 7th grader it would be more mature books on the same topic. I gave him a few adult nonfiction books last year (6th) and just assigned them in him size bites. He's very much a "give me ALL the details" kid. 

Edited by SilverMoon
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, SilverMoon said:

That car time is valuable! I start with whichever kid is getting dropped off first and round on the next one after that. It's really just a "So what'd you learn in your history book today?" starter. 

Maybe keep the family science and history if it's working well and give him something he can do on his own too. Science kits if he likes hands on, something on the internet that might feel more big kid, etc. I'd try asking him how he'd make those subjects better. Some kids that age will just shrug but some have really good insight. For my 7th grader it would be more mature books on the same topic. I gave him a few adult nonfiction books last year (6th) and just assigned them in him size bites. He's very much a "give me ALL the details" kid. 

Thanks so much!  Today has been rough.  He's done two things and is avoiding us.  I'm getting fed up.  

20 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

He’s very bright but resists a lot of a school work..

Yes, that's typical 6th grade boy stuff. 😉 I had 2 boys, and NEITHER was motivated to do academics, as some on these boards are. 😉

But I also agree with  @SilverMoon that he may be bored -- it may be time to move on from penmanship into typing, and move on from so much narration (sure, keep a little) into more interesting writing that requires some thinking, .

20 hours ago, Ting Tang said:

...I’m not able to support a whole lot more, with four full time learners. I am considering a writing program and extra history perhaps? ...suggestions! 

Writing that could be mostly solo-working:
- Cover Story
- Jump In
- outsourced class (local co-op, online... possibly Lantern English, although I believe that is a sort of "correspondence" style that requires parent oversight at home)

Geography that could be mostly solo-working:
- workbook of choice -- maps & charts skills, other
    Evan-Moor Daily Geography Practice (gr. 6)
    Mark Twain Geography Warm-Ups (gr. 5-6)
    Discovering World of Geography: Western Hemisphere (gr. 6-7)

- Beautiful Feet Geography guide & map pack (covers the 4 Holling C. Holding books -- 3 US-based, 1 world-based)
This could be done by the whole family, but have 6th grade DS do more of the guide ideas on his own. The guide suggests ideas for additional research, and short writing projects, so that could add to History and Writing, as well as covering Geography, by having DS pick an idea from the guide from time to time.

History
- 1x/week he watches s historical documentary (maybe an occasional feature film set in a time period)and do a different thing as output:
   • short narration/illustration on a page in a continuing notebook
   • give a short oral presentation to the rest of the family on it
   • make a short video (lego animation!) or slideshow "recreation" of the key event
   • make a "movie poster" that visually (with a few exciting words/phrases) expresses the key event
   • recreate something of interest from the documentary -- make a food, make a model of a building/plane/ship etc.

Logic that could be mostly solo-working -- really, more as a fun once-a-week thing:
- Blastoff with Logic series -- he would fly thru 1st book, but worth laying the good foundation
   • Logic Countdown (gr. 3-4), Logic Liftoff (gr. 4-5), Orbiting with Logic (gr. 6-7)
- Critical Thinking Press -- Smartypants Puzzles; Dr. Funster Think-a-Minute; Critical Thinking Detective
- Critical Thinking Activities in Patterns, Imagery, Logic (gr. 4-6) (Seymour)

Art that could be mostly solo-working:
- Mark Kistler's Draw Squad
- Artistic Pursuits

Music that could be mostly solo-working:
- self-teach the recorder Penny Gardener's Nine Note Recorder Method
- outsource music lessons on an instrument or vocal lessons, so that also means daily 20-30 minute practice

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

I'll agree with the others that the writing seems a bit light.  Even my more writing-averse kids were picking up steam in terms of quantity of writing by 6th grade.  My current 6th grader is dyslexic/dysgraphic so is behind in that area, but we are giving it greater focus this year, even if it is mainly at the sentence and short paragraph level.

I'll also give my 2cents that nature lore seems a bit light for 6th grade.  I think of nature lore as being fun stories for early elementary? (Maybe I'm not picturing exactly the same thing here? We read books like the Burgess Bird Book and Hexapod Stories and the like in early to mid elementary).  In keeping with the Charlotte Mason approach you could, as you finish or get to a good stopping point, move on to maybe an interesting science non-fiction book on a topic he is interested in? I like some of the options at Sabbath Mood homeschool:  https://sabbathmoodhomeschool.com/  - You could keep the nature lore for the youngers, and have him read on his own something that might be more engaging for him at his level.  Or maybe add in some science audiobooks at his level during car rides, and the youngers might pick up something from it too.

• Like 2

Thank you both!  I think I am going to seek out more help with writing.  I wanted to add some classical writing, and I do have a good resource from a classical school.  However, I probably just need a curriculum of that nature to keep us on pace.  I've looked at Sabboth Mood, too, while searching around for Charlotte Mason-type stuff.  We're currently reading "Eyes No Eyes" and he also has "Secrets of the Woods."  He is enjoying the books, but he is also the type of kid who likes to still collect creatures.  I cannot tell you how many aquariums he has set up now, lol.  But I do know we should get more serious.  Last year, we did TGTB, and I just didn't care for it. It had great information, but I hated reading from the book and sharing it with the kids as I was reading...

1 hour ago, Ting Tang said:

...I think I am going to seek out more help with writing.  I wanted to add some classical writing, and I do have a good resource from a classical school.  However, I probably just need a curriculum of that nature to keep us on pace...

Be sure that a classical writing curriculum is a good fit for THIS STUDENT. All of the traditional/classical writing curricula would have been a hard no go for both of our DSs -- one due to hating writing, and one due to LDs with writing.

Of course, your DS is unique and may be very different from my DSs. 😄 

Does your DS do well with formal, structured, parts-to-whole style writing instruction? That is how Memoria Press's Classical Composition, SWB's Writing with Style, Circe's Lost Tools of Writing, and Meaningful Composition (and another that is escaping me at the moment) are set up.

CAP's Writing and Rhetoric is based around the pro-gym, but is less formal, with more practice exercises/activities.

IEW's writing is set up such that the parent and student can watch the videos together. IEW is not a traditional/classical method for teaching writing, and is based on writing imitation, key-word outlines, breaking the writing process (brainstorm, organize, rough draft, revise, proof-edit) into "bites," etc.

Sharon Watson's Jump In is very informal in tone -- not at classical in set-up -- but can be a good fit for a whole-to-parts learner, and can be fairly independently done by the student. It is helpful in guiding a student into thinking of what to say, and how to organize your thoughts/writing.

Cover Story looks like it's flat out fun, and teaches grammar along with writing (rather, how grammar as a tool is used in writing), and has a more creative writing bent to it. Very informal, with video lessons. Completely NOT classical in approach.

• Like 1

I have a current 6th grader, but she's a girl, so YMMV. If she was doing all I asked her to do happily, I wouldn't necessarily add more just to be adding more. With me she does about 45 min of math each day, 15 min spelling, 20 min writing/discussing/outlining/playing with words, 20 min grammar, 20 min science lesson, some misc geography, Spanish, and analogies (combined 20 min). On her own she does 45 min of reading from a list, reads 5 or 6 pages from a history text and writes a few sentences about it and puts entries on a timeline, does an activity or two in a vocabulary workbook, a logic puzzle, and works on her spech and debate club homework.

For a boy who does well with school, but doesn't love it, I'd be looking at how he spends his free time more than I'd look at his school work. For my DSs (both grown now) around middle school was when I expected them to be doing more than just playing/reading during their free time. Teaching themselves computer languages, making stop action LEGO movies, playing with music compositions, etc. Worthwhile free time independent learning about stuff that could turn into a marketable skill was just as important as the schoolwork I assigned and I wanted them to have time for it.

• Like 3

My son kind of checked out mentally around 6th/7th grade. Puberty hit and his brain just sort of went into stasis. I don't feel like we made very much progress in the middle school years.  Everything was like pulling teeth, even things he previously loved, like math and science.  It was pandemic time, too, which didn't help. 

Toward the end of 8th grade, he started waking up and now as a 15 yo 9th grader, it's like "Oh, hi! There you are!"

• Like 1

Oh I do hope my son will become more studious!  I am still thinking about a good writing program for him.  Fortunately, the activities he does outside of school work could be much worse.  He has fish and crawdad habitats, and now he has aspirations to breed fish.  We are not entirely thrilled about that, but I am sure he has learned a great deal through his research on how to do this all.