Menu

Dog people--Tresaderm shortage/fungal claw help?

Acadie

ETA--These are admittedly super-specific questions, but I figured I'd try the Hive in case anyone has ideas that might help my sweet little mini-poodle!

The vet diagnosed fungal claw about 6 weeks ago, and prescribed topical Tresaderm along with oral salmon oil and vitamin E. She also had us do clorhexidine paw soaks for the first few weeks, but that was drying out his claws and probably making them more fragile so she had us stop the soaks.

His claws were starting to look better at his last checkup, but the vet said to continue Tresaderm since it will take several more months for the claws to grow out completely. And she put the fear of God in me that this can be difficult to treat even with oral antifungals, it can come right back if you stop too soon, and that toe amputation can become necessary in complicated cases. 

Now the vet can't get Tresaderm due to the national shortage, and I've tried 5 vet pharmacies that are all out too! 

Anyone have experience treating fungal claw successfully, or suggestions on how to obtain Tresaderm or a substitute?

I believe the vet made the diagnosis clinically without doing a biopsy, so I'm also wondering if it's worth asking for a biopsy in case confirmation of the microbial cause might indicate another treatment option. 

Edited by Acadie

4 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

See if you can find a compounding pharmacy: tresaderm is thiabendazole, dexamethasone, and neomycin sulfate compounded together. The components themselves are not in shortage. 

This. You could switch to just an antifungal cream, and if the vet thinks the others are needed it mix it at home with a steroid cream and antibiotic cream. otherwise, just an antifungal. 

• Thanks 1