Menu

practice Common App account?

JennyD

Back in the dim and distant past when all this college application stuff was just theoretical, I recall reading somewhere the suggestion that homeschool parents should create two Common App accounts, one dummy account for "practice" and one real one.  Is this still recommended?

I did do this. It was somewhat helpful in that we could know ahead of August 1st if there would be college specific essays and if the common app essay was required. Also any other college specific requirements (like a resume) that we might need to work on.  

Technically the student could start into the account before August 1st, but any work that is done on the specific college side will be reset on August 1st. But conceptually you could just set up the actual student account early and get the same information I got by setting up a practice account. https://membersupport.commonapp.org/s/article/Practice-account-FAQs

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, cintinative said:

I did do this. It was somewhat helpful in that we could know ahead of August 1st if there would be college specific essays and if the common app essay was required. Also any other college specific requirements (like a resume) that we might need to work on.  

Technically the student could start into the account before August 1st, but any work that is done on the specific college side will be reset on August 1st. But conceptually you could just set up the actual student account early and get the same information I got by setting up a practice account. https://membersupport.commonapp.org/s/article/Practice-account-FAQs

This is super helpful, thanks!  I was thinking that there was such a thing as practice counselor account but apparently that's just a way to set up a practice student account.  Anyway, i have gone ahead and done this, seems useful.  

• Like 1