Menu

August frugalistas

prairiewindmomma

It was a good day at the thrift store today. 

Found a thick teakwood butcher block for $8, (not sure if I will keep or flip), a couple of fancy baking pans for $4 each that I will flip for $20 each. And I found a copy of Foerster's Algebra & Trig for $3.  I won't need it for a year, but I'm not going to find a cheaper copy anywhere over the next year.  Sadly, I did not find the solution manual, but I'll haunt Goodwill for a few days to see if it pops up. 

I've had some good sales on ebay and fb lately, too, knock wood. Hopefully that will continue!

ETA: Doh, I can't believe I forgot about this. I found an almost complete Thames and Kosmos Chem C2000 kit for $10 at Goodwill. It looks like it's only missing the safety gogles, (we already have those), and some wick material for the alcohol burner. 

Edited by Shoeless
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, Shoeless said:

Found a thick teakwood butcher block for $8, (not sure if I will keep or flip), a couple of fancy baking pans for $4 each that I will flip for $20 each. And I found a copy of Foerster's Algebra & Trig for $3.  I won't need it for a year, but I'm not going to find a cheaper copy anywhere over the next year.  Sadly, I did not find the solution manual, but I'll haunt Goodwill for a few days to see if it pops up. 

I've had some good sales on ebay and fb lately, too, knock wood. Hopefully that will continue!

ETA: Doh, I can't believe I forgot about this. I found an almost complete Thames and Kosmos Chem C2000 kit for $10 at Goodwill. It looks like it's only missing the safety googles, (we already have those), and some wick material for the alcohol burner. 

Wow, you have an amazing goodwill for HS!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've been sort of removed from our finances recently. It usually happens in the summer and come mid August I hope back in a plan for the rest of the year. So, I don't really know where we stand right now.

We just got our first payment from our new tenant. He's been with us a little over a week and it's been great. He's done some of the dance driving since he's got to be there too. He's helped with dinner. He's started joining us at the gym too. And he's another fan of boardgames so that's been fun.

I think the rest of our month is pretty spend free.

• Like 3

I hit a ministry sale and got 2 pairs of brand names jeans and 2 pairs of Columbia Hiking pants and 2 leather belts for a total of $4.75.

only issue is that all 4 pairs of pants are a bit snug on me but I am slowly losing weight so they should fit better in a few weeks/months.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Shoeless said:

In the spirit of thriftiness, I have to let you know that I looked YEARS for Foerster's solutions used at a decent price, but came up short.  They are like the holy grail.  😉  I hope it does pop up for you, but in case it doesn't,  Math Without Borders has Forester's solutions for sale (very reasonable) as a pdf.  

Algebra 1 https://mathwithoutborders.com/shop/algebra-1-ancillary-materials/

Algebra 2 https://mathwithoutborders.com/shop/algebra-2-trig-ancillary-materials/

Edited by Zoo Keeper
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Zoo Keeper said:

In the spirit of thriftiness, I have to let you know that I looked YEARS for Foerster's solutions used at a decent price, but came up short.  They are like the holy grail.  😉  I hope it does pop up for you, but in case it doesn't,  Math Without Borders has Forester's solutions for sale (very reasonable) as a pdf.  

Algebra 1 https://mathwithoutborders.com/shop/algebra-1-ancillary-materials/

Algebra 2 https://mathwithoutborders.com/shop/algebra-2-trig-ancillary-materials/

Thank you! 

Boo, gas went up 35 cents from last week

Got a medical bill from when we were on vacation

Dh got his bonus

We bought a new computer

Had to get a tired patched because it had a nail in it. But got the oil  change for free because the wait was so long.

Used gift cards to order vitamins and some dance stuff.  

Dh resealed the driveway.

Saved $110 on groceries last week.

There was something else but I can't remember it for the life of me right now.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yup. We’ve had some wins and some losses.

Wins:

We booked more of the YOLO travel I mentioned this past spring.

The thrift store gods have been generous lately. We picked up a pair of Prana jeans and three very nice sweaters for dd this week. They fit her beautifully.

Back to school supplies and classes all fit within the budget. We just have fall uni tuition left to go. 

Most of our upcoming travel bits and bobs (some new packing cubes, some travel toiletries, etc.) all got covered through Amazon points. 

Losses:

Nail in the tire = replacing all four tires because they were about 6 months out from needing to be replaced anyway. That made the third major auto expense in about 6 weeks. 🙄 That fund got wiped out. Dh doesn’t think we should replace our second vehicle, so when it goes, we will be a one car family (and Dh will ride share on the rare occasion he needs to go somewhere).

Two sweaters I bought earlier this month developed holes in their initial wash ($25). They are large and visible and so will be their repairs.

Easy jet’s booking website glitched and replaced all of our ticket names with my name during the booking, and I had to pay to get it fixed (+$400). It was still the cheapest way off of Iceland, but fixing the issue took 5 hours and I never want to have to deal with easy jet again. I actually paid more to deal with other airlines for the other bookings. 

• Like 1