Menu

Any teachers here use Delta Math and/or IXL?

I'm using a free trial of IXL right now and the free version of Delta Math. I would love to hear from others what they think about either one. 

I am considering either one for some of the homework while some will still be out of the textbook. I might consider them for quizzes and/or tests.

This will be for my online homeschool math classes. Any input on free versus paid versions of DeltaMath? If I use IXL, I definitely want the paid, but if you have thoughts to share, please do so! 

Thank you!!

IXL is a torture device meant to kill the love of math one problem at a time.

I tutor public school students.  Part of their work with me involves this stupid, stupid program.  We don't work on it because I want to, or that it's helpful, but that it is assigned by the school and left to face it alone the child will suffer for hours.

The main issue is the metrics it uses for a student to get 100%.  That can either be 15 questions if they get them all right, or 42 questions if they miss 3-4.   It'll make large jumps from 12%..to 18%...and then as the kid gets higher up it'll slow down: 91..93...and heaven forbid they miss one at that point.  It'll drop them back 7-10 points.

It is the most demoralizing math program.  You may end up with a student who is capable, but they will loathe the subject because of it.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

I have no personal experience. I have heard many complaints from parents of young children using IXL in school. 

I asked a high school Math teacher for their opinion in Delta Math and they were very positive. The cost seems very reasonable, the paid version comes with videos, it's comprehensive, a large number of problems ranging from easy to serious. Definitely suggest as a complement, but not as exclusive teaching material. Let me know if you have specific questions.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, HomeAgain said:

IXL is a torture device meant to kill the love of math one problem at a time.

I tutor public school students.  Part of their work with me involves this stupid, stupid program.  We don't work on it because I want to, or that it's helpful, but that it is assigned by the school and left to face it alone the child will suffer for hours.

The main issue is the metrics it uses for a student to get 100%.  That can either be 15 questions if they get them all right, or 42 questions if they miss 3-4.   It'll make large jumps from 12%..to 18%...and then as the kid gets higher up it'll slow down: 91..93...and heaven forbid they miss one at that point.  It'll drop them back 7-10 points.

It is the most demoralizing math program.  You may end up with a student who is capable, but they will loathe the subject because of it.

I hate to hear that! I only have one summer student using it right now, and he has liked it. He is a good student, though. 

I wonder if it would be best to only give to students who really need a lot of extra practice in specific skills. 

55 minutes ago, FreyaO said:

I have no personal experience. I have heard many complaints from parents of young children using IXL in school. 

I asked a high school Math teacher for their opinion in Delta Math and they were very positive. The cost seems very reasonable, the paid version comes with videos, it's comprehensive, a large number of problems ranging from easy to serious. Definitely suggest as a complement, but not as exclusive teaching material. Let me know if you have specific questions.

Thank you! It wouldn't be for teaching but for some of the homework.  I teach the lessons live online. 

I will definitely ask if I have more. 

12 hours ago, mom31257 said:

I hate to hear that! I only have one summer student using it right now, and he has liked it. He is a good student, though. 

I wonder if it would be best to only give to students who really need a lot of extra practice in specific skills. 

It would be beyond terrible for these students.  They would never finish.  They would just bog down in the weeds and eventually give up.

The kids who need a lot of extra practice in skills benefit from a scaffolded hands on approach, in which they slowly move from concrete to abstract, reverting back to the concrete as they need to and continuing work while adding in a new concept.  Continual review/side-by-side approach.

IXL is just a diagnostic tool, but it's so poorly done that it isn't serving any of the population well.  You'll probably see what I mean when/if your kid hits a trouble spot or gets the puberty fog brain that so many do at 9-11yo.

• Thanks 1

• 5 months later...

I don't know if you have already made a decision for this school year. I've used both IXL and DeltaMath extensively, as well as other math programs such as Edia, Kuta Software, and Desmos activities. While all their uses, but without a doubt, DeltaMath is the #1 resource I use. If I could only pay for one, it would be DeltaMath. Their examples are clear, the content is broad, the paid membership gives you flexibility to mix skills or assign partial skills. Their testing software is the best math assessment software I've used. The kids even like DeltaMath and prefer it to every other type of assignment. It is just flat out fantastic (I promise I don't work for DM). The top paid version will even sync grades into canvas automatically which has saved me tooooons of time this year. IXL is a bit like a scalpel. You have to be very careful when you use it and how much or someone is going to end up in pain. It can be good, but most teachers don't vet the skills and scoring system enough before using it. There is no real flexibility and the skills are generally inconsistent with each other. It is also about 10x as much as DM. To me, it's not even a competition. DM all the way. Good luck on finishing out the rest of the year.