Menu

Skip Pre-Algebra?

Dianna_

Has anyone skipped BJU Pre-Algebra, and gone straight to BJU Algebra 1? My son is in 7th grade and is finishing up BJU Fundamentals of Math. His grade in that class right now is a 94. I was looking at the table of contents for Pre-Algebra and I feel that the topics are super similar to what he covered this year in Fundamentals. I don't want to skip if there is important material to cover in Pre-Algebra. Thoughts?

Edited by Dianna_

• Dianna_ changed the title to Skip Pre-Algebra?
49 minutes ago, chiguirre said:

Is there a placement test to gauge his readiness?

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Fundamentals of Math is also from BJU Press. He has been using BJU Press since 3rd grade. So he's done 3rd-6th grade with BJU, and now he's done their Fundamentals of Math for 7th grade. The 8th grade math is scheduled as Pre-algebra, but I hear that people tend to have their child take algebra in 8th grade instead. Is this common?

Edited by Dianna_

29 minutes ago, Dianna_ said:

Sorry, I forgot to mention that Fundamentals of Math is also from BJU Press. He has been using BJU Press since 3rd grade. So he's done 3rd-6th grade with BJU, and now he's done their Fundamentals of Math for 7th grade. The 8th grade math is scheduled as Pre-algebra, but I hear that people tend to have their child take algebra in 8th grade instead. Is this common?

Ah, well if it's the same program but different grades I wouldn't skip pre-algebra. Likely they didn't teach the full concept and he will need that course to be fully ready for Algebra. Here 9th graders take Algebra and advanced kids sometimes take algebra in 8th. If you feel he is able is just move quicker through the pre-algebra course instead of skipping it. 

I don't know as I haven't used BJU. I know that I personally skipped from Abeka 7th to Abeka algebra (9th) skipping preAlgebra and was totally fine. The rep told mom for a strong math student it was fine. 

I looked into BJU last year for my son and saw that many people skip something (can't remember if it's 7th or 8th) and put algebra 1 in 8th grade. I even thought the BJU website talked about it. Have you looked or emailed them?

• Like 1

Looking at the scope and sequence, you would miss some geometry and statistics topics that could be very helpful with any testing they might need to do. The pre-algebra probably includes an easier introduction to functions and systems of equations, too. 

Personally, I didn't have my own kids do Algebra 1 in 8th grade. After tutoring students and experiencing how brain development really affected their understanding, I felt it best to wait. I read articles like this, too. I've had more than one student take Algebra 1 in 8th and do fine, but they hit a wall trying to do Algebra 2 in 9th or 10th. 

https://www.deseret.com/2013/4/9/20517621/new-research-says-the-push-to-have-students-take-algebra-by-8th-grade-has-hurt-not-helped-students

My kids could have done it in 8th, but I think they did much better with fully grasping it by waiting until 9th. Our sequence was Algebra 1 in 9th, Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th, and dual enrollment College Algebra in 12th. Both of them took statistics (not precalculus or calculus) for their degree programs.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, mom31257 said:

Looking at the scope and sequence, you would miss some geometry and statistics topics that could be very helpful with any testing they might need to do. The pre-algebra probably includes an easier introduction to functions and systems of equations, too. 

Personally, I didn't have my own kids do Algebra 1 in 8th grade. After tutoring students and experiencing how brain development really affected their understanding, I felt it best to wait. I read articles like this, too. I've had more than one student take Algebra 1 in 8th and do fine, but they hit a wall trying to do Algebra 2 in 9th or 10th. 

https://www.deseret.com/2013/4/9/20517621/new-research-says-the-push-to-have-students-take-algebra-by-8th-grade-has-hurt-not-helped-students

My kids could have done it in 8th, but I think they did much better with fully grasping it by waiting until 9th. Our sequence was Algebra 1 in 9th, Geometry in 10th, Algebra 2 in 11th, and dual enrollment College Algebra in 12th. Both of them took statistics (not precalculus or calculus) for their degree programs.  

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I, too, was thinking about the issue of brain development and whether taking Algebra 1 in 8th is a good idea.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Dianna_ said:

Thank you very much for sharing your experience. I, too, was thinking about the issue of brain development and whether taking Algebra 1 in 8th is a good idea.

Did you see what I shared a short time ago about one of my students?  

2 minutes ago, mom31257 said:

Did you see what I shared a short time ago about one of my students?  

That is a wonderful story about your student! Thanks for sharing.

The flowchart I've attached shows the possible courses that students can take in high school in my province. Calculus is needed if you are going to be going into a science major in university. I don't know what my son will be taking in the future, but I want to keep all his doors open.

As you can see, they don't separate the courses into Algebra 1, Algebra 2 etc. So I am having difficulty knowing how to make the BJU math progression work for us.

Screenshot 2023-06-02 at 21-59-35 Pages - Courses.png

• Like 1

@Dianna_, if he needs to take Calculus in 12th grade, you will want to do BJU in this sequence. Your province's standards might be different; however, that is BJU's sequence to get ready for calculus. You might consider a review of Algebra 1 the summer before starting Algebra 2 if the Geometry didn't provide enough review throughout the year. I'm not familiar with it enough to know. 

• 8th Algebra 1
  • 9th Geometry
  • 10th Algebra 2
  • 11th Precalcus. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am not familiar with BJU at all, but many Pre-algerbra texts/programs don't necessarily introduce a lot of nee material, but instead focus on developing mathematical maturity, more adult learning styles and developing problem solving skills.

Edited by Aliqout