Menu

Basil, Basil … Joy, Joy

Ann.without.an.e

Yay!

My basil outdoors is struggling so much. But I have three plants indoors that are happy campers. I should make pesto. I also need to dry some of the leaves for my sauces in the winter when the plants are not as hardy. I do love fresh basil!! We put the leaves on homemade pizza along with spinach and red pepper and mushrooms. So yummy.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Faith-manor said:

Yay!

My basil outdoors is struggling so much. But I have three plants indoors that are happy campers. I should make pesto. I also need to dry some of the leaves for my sauces in the winter when the plants are not as hardy. I do love fresh basil!! We put the leaves on homemade pizza along with spinach and red pepper and mushrooms. So yummy.

It’s the best, right?

Fresh Basil alone is enough to keep me from an all meat plus salt diet 🤣

1 minute ago, catz said:

Do you have a recipe?  We are early season here on herbs/garden.  I actually have to go drop some plants in today.  But homemade pesto is THE BEST!  

I like this one but I cut back a touch on the nutritional yeast. I also used slivered almonds since I didn’t have pine nuts. 

https://minimalistbaker.com/easy-vegan-pesto-5-minutes/#wprm-recipe-container-34850

• Thanks 3

The domino effect was I found myself making gluten free French bread dough. ETA: to turn into flatbread

Dough is rising. Will this be a flatbread for lunch or dinner?

Also crazy random idea, how do you think thinly sliced golden beets would be on such a flatbread?

IMG_1872.thumb.jpeg.5c204179f82b1f005a74837526ac1893.jpeg

Edited by Ann.without.an.e

1 minute ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

The domino effect was I found myself making gluten free French bread 🤣

Dough is rising. Will this be a flatbread for lunch or dinner?

Also crazy random idea, how do you think thinly sliced golden beets would be on such a flatbread?

IMG_1872.thumb.jpeg.5c204179f82b1f005a74837526ac1893.jpeg

Hey? You can't say "GF French bread" and not share the recipe! There has to be a law against that!

• Haha 1

Just now, Faith-manor said:

Hey? You can't say "GF French bread" and not share the recipe! There has to be a law against that!

The only French bread I’ve found that works good. It is also exceptional for pizza and flatbreads, etc. 

https://www.pamelasproducts.com/blogs/recipes/crispy-french-bread-bowl-1

I also love the regular loaf bread made with Pamela’s. I don’t buy the little bags though (too $$$). I buy it in bulk, so much cheaper. 

2 minutes ago, Faith-manor said:

I can never fin pine nuts around here so I always have to substitute. Word to the wise: If you don't want your pesto to be ridiculously expensive AND highly addictive, put the jar of macadamia nuts down! Ask me how I know.....

DD made something with a lot of macadamia nuts once and then she calculated the cost and was floored. I think pine nuts are more $$$$ than those though. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, catz said:

I usually use walnuts in my pesto, I'm too cheap for all pine nuts.  🙂  I love the idea of migrating to making it with less parm as yummy as it is!  

I have no choice since I have a dairy allergy. The vegan is good though. Trader Joe’s used to have a vegan that is good too. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

The only French bread I’ve found that works good. It is also exceptional for pizza and flatbreads, etc. 

https://www.pamelasproducts.com/blogs/recipes/crispy-french-bread-bowl-1

I also love the regular loaf bread made with Pamela’s. I don’t buy the little bags though (too $$$). I buy it in bulk, so much cheaper. 

Off to look, thanks!

• Like 1