Menu

Audible users--recommendations needed

Kidlit

I have some credits to spend.  I am a heavy Hoopla and Libby user, also.   I like to spend credits on classics, kids' books we might listen to again, and must-listen new books with long waiting lists that I purchase on a whim.    I like literary fiction, historical fiction, mysteries (but nothing very gory or scary), and sweeping sagas.  Of course, in audiobooks, the narrator makes all the difference.  Does anybody have any recommendations for me?

I just finished listening to Hatch, Dragons of Laton by James Stevens. So good! It seemed as if the story went out of it's way not to be gory, sad or sexualized. No swearing, either. I can only recall one sad moment but since it didn't involve a main character, it wasn't as sad as it could have been. So this book would be great for older children. I truly enjoyed it as an adult. If you have Kindle Unlimited, you can get it for free there.

• Like 1

I really love listening to Lincoln in the Bardo while following along with the text, since there are multiple actors giving voice to different characters. It's a unique audio performance and well worth the purchase, for me. Fun to recognize some celebrity actors' voices.

Another fave is Jenny Lewis' Gilgamesh Retold, a feminist translation that is just gorgeous. 

Looking forward to other recs because I have credits to spend too! 

• Like 1