Menu

Weird or un-weird, what do you think?

Wilma

Turning in scholarship information to the high school...  

57 members have voted

1. 1. How would that feel to you / your kid?

• Wouldn't bother me/my kid a bit!
    • Super intrusive. No way.
    • Maybe a little intrusive, but what's the big deal?
    • Other
  2. 2. Does your kid's school require such information?

• Yes
    • No
    • I don't know.
    • Who cares?

My kid's public school doesn't ask about scholarships, but somehow they know where kids applied and the outcome of the application in previous years--maybe from the common app? Naviance,  the college guidance computer program they use has a scatterplot of GPA or test scores vs acceptance outcomes for many schools. The school does have 4400 kids, so while it's anecdotal, one can perhaps see trends.

I've also wondered - our local schools are posting such stats as their seniors were awarded $4M in scholarships. 
Now, my kids were offered scholarships by the school at multiple schools, but of course, they only went to one school. (Not talking about one time awards, but here in TX at least, the big scholarships are typically offered by the schools themselves)
So, are these all the scholarship offers from multiple schools they are adding up and not the scholarships at the college the student actually accepted? 
Is it typical to multiply that scholarship yearly by 4 to get a total or do you just count the first year offer (as the succeeding years are not a guarantee)? 
So, if you have one student who was offered $6k/year at ABC school, $3K/year at XYZ school, and $5K/year at MNO school, and student elects to go to ABC School. So is their total $6K, $24K (assumes they remain eligible all four years), or $56K because that is the total of all four years all college offers? 

2 hours ago, Bambam said:

I've also wondered - our local schools are posting such stats as their seniors were awarded $4M in scholarships. 
Now, my kids were offered scholarships by the school at multiple schools, but of course, they only went to one school. (Not talking about one time awards, but here in TX at least, the big scholarships are typically offered by the schools themselves)
So, are these all the scholarship offers from multiple schools they are adding up and not the scholarships at the college the student actually accepted? 
Is it typical to multiply that scholarship yearly by 4 to get a total or do you just count the first year offer (as the succeeding years are not a guarantee)? 
So, if you have one student who was offered $6k/year at ABC school, $3K/year at XYZ school, and $5K/year at MNO school, and student elects to go to ABC School. So is their total $6K, $24K (assumes they remain eligible all four years), or $56K because that is the total of all four years all college offers? 

Yes, you add up all the offers and include all 4 years if it's renewable.  

3 hours ago, BandH said:

Yes, you add up all the offers and include all 4 years if it's renewable.  

Wow, in that case you could say my kid was offered 35x4, 30x4, 10x4, 2x4.... A LOT. But somehow we're still having to choose the state school and pay out of pocket.... the adding and multiplying seem manipulative!

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Bambam said:

It is typical for all four years to be included. From what I've seen & heard, most schools do it this way. It makes for easier comparisons and it looks good.