Menu

Spanish on a budget

My rising 9th grader likes learning Spanish. So far she's done Getting Started with Spanish, Flip Flop See It and Say It Spanish (both levels), some Duolingo, watching videos in Spanish every week, and getting Spanish picture books at the library. She hasn't done too much formal grammar, so I'd probably need to start her in Spanish 1 next year.

However, budget wise, we can only do about $200 (can probably do $300 for something that works well) this next year, so live classes are out. For 10th grade, she'll hopefully be able to do a local class, and in 11-12th she can do DE. 

I know enough that I can facilitate/teach first year Spanish grammar. I'm not good enough with Spanish to teach from a textbook meant for a classroom (with group speaking exercises, etc). 

What is a good budget option for high school Spanish for a student that enjoys the process of learning a language? She likes the videos/stories, so I want to make sure she still has time to include those in her studies.

There's a Spanish I homeschooling curriculum, Georgia Virtual Learning has Spanish I-IV and AP Spanish, and MIT OpenCourseware has Spanish I. If you want to piece together your own thing, there's Destinos, BBC Bitesize for KS3 and GCSE, and the PASS Spanish textbook. All of the resources mentioned are free. I know you said you don't feel comfortable teaching from a book, but Google Translate works well with Spanish if you're worried about pronunciation. 

• Like 2

ULAT is great.  I also really like Paul Noble. His courses are very affordable on Audible.  I would encourage watching Spanish every day instead of every week.  Pick a Spanish dub cartoon on Netflix or Disney + and dive in.  Comprehension will come sooner than you think.  

• Like 1