Menu

Sid the Porch Dragon Skeleton says "Save the Frogs!"

Dmmetler

Do you still have the instructions on how to make your own frog pond? My little guys have loved listening to the frogs at night, and I told them that there was someone on the forum who knew all about how to make a frog pond. I think it started with a kiddie pool? I wasn’t able to find it on the search.

frogcentric. I love that. 🙂 

I'm definitely going to find a way to work that word into a conversation soon. 

The frogs can get pretty loud here, too, but it's not quite warm enough yet.

Edited by popmom
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

Frogs don't need to be saved here.  You are hit with a wall of frog sounds at night just stepping outside.  And on rainy days (very common here) you can't even talk normally outside without being drowned out by the frogs.  (this isn't anti-frog, it's just an observation about how frogcentric our local habitat is here.)

There probably are still species of concern. We have about 4 species in high abundance here, but others who are at various levels of ICUN threatened or endangered. 

3 hours ago, Wishes said:

Do you still have the instructions on how to make your own frog pond? My little guys have loved listening to the frogs at night, and I told them that there was someone on the forum who knew all about how to make a frog pond. I think it started with a kiddie pool? I wasn’t able to find it on the search.

What we did was to start with a kiddie pool. Set it up with water and treat with mosquito dunks/bits. Provide cover and objects that froglets can get out of the water on. We also planted water plants. We have a air bubbleron ours to keep down mosquitoes and keep it from freezing, and plants around it. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Dmmetler said:

There probably are still species of concern. We have about 4 species in high abundance here, but others who are at various levels of ICUN threatened or endangered. 

What we did was to start with a kiddie pool. Set it up with water and treat with mosquito dunks/bits. Provide cover and objects that froglets can get out of the water on. We also planted water plants. We have an air bubbleron ours to keep down mosquitoes and keep it from freezing, and plants around it. 

Thanks! When you say cover…is that plant cover or something else?

18 hours ago, Wishes said:

Thanks! When you say cover…is that plant cover or something else?

Plants or other objects. Plants are nice because they attract insects, but we've had tadpoles and frogs especially use ramps propped up against the side, where there's an airspace, but it's still covered. 

Our closest to the house pond has a porch light that is on at night, so that helps attract insects. When we added a second, we put some of those solar powered path lights around it as well. 

We also have frog tubes-PVC pipes set in the ground vertically, so they stick up a couple of feet. Tree frogs like them 🙂

• Thanks 1