Menu

How to block a group spam text?

gardenmom5

Are you able to mark as spam? Even if you can't block directly, if you can mark as spam it should train the filter to catch it in the future. 

For a while I was getting the same spam text every day but from a different sender so blocking didn't help. After a couple weeks the spam filter finally started catching them.  

(YMMV of course....this is in the Google text message app on Android)

You should be able to silence the alerts. That way you still get the messages, but you don't know they are there unless you check. What kind of phone do you have?

If I remember right on the Samsung I had...It is basically like setting up a ring tone for that message, but you turn off the ring tone/alert tone, instead of setting one. 

On iPhone 12 (and I am guessing other iPhones too) try this. Press and hold the message for a long second. When it comes up, look at the bottom of the screen. There is an option to "hide alerts".  After closing this box, and on the main text page...there is a little bell with a hash crossing on the right side of the screen where the text is. That way you know it is silenced. 

Edited by Tap

3 hours ago, Harriet Vane said:

You have to block each individual phone number.

I don't have the option to block any of the numbers.  

3 hours ago, kirstenhill said:

Are you able to mark as spam? Even if you can't block directly, if you can mark as spam it should train the filter to catch it in the future. 

For a while I was getting the same spam text every day but from a different sender so blocking didn't help. After a couple weeks the spam filter finally started catching them.  

(YMMV of course....this is in the Google text message app on Android)

I read up - and will when (not if . . . ) it happens again, and will try following online instructions.  It gave directions on how to report the number as spam.

13 minutes ago, Tap said:

You should be able to silence the alerts. That way you still get the messages, but you don't know they are there unless you check. What kind of phone do you have?

If I remember right on the Samsung I had...It is basically like setting up a ring tone for that message, but you turn off the ring tone/alert tone, instead of setting one. 

I think I silenced the alerts so hopefully I won't even get them - but I'll check some other options when it happens again.