Menu

AIM Academy Biology vs. FundaFunda Biology

I'm always hesitant to post on threads about my classes because I'm not here to promote them, but in case you don't get reviews from people who have taken the class, I teach the Fundafunda class and have had several students with dyslexia over the years.  While there is a book, it is mostly used as a supplement and students can get the material from the videos if they prefer that.  I have had students do very well and say that they only used the book in a few specific sections.  Some students have had their parents scribe for them, which is also fine.  If you have any questions, you can message me directly.  

1 hour ago, Clemsondana said:

I'm always hesitant to post on threads about my classes because I'm not here to promote them, but in case you don't get reviews from people who have taken the class, I teach the Fundafunda class and have had several students with dyslexia over the years.  While there is a book, it is mostly used as a supplement and students can get the material from the videos if they prefer that.  I have had students do very well and say that they only used the book in a few specific sections.  Some students have had their parents scribe for them, which is also fine.  If you have any questions, you can message me directly.  

Is your course synchronous or asynch? The description mentions videos, but it sounds like there might be weekly face to face meetings?

Are there note taking templates?

Thank you!

Edited by WTM

2 hours ago, Clemsondana said:

I am always glad when you post!  So please do!  

Do you have any samples of the lectures?  

The course is asynchronous.  There aren't face-to--face meetings, although the class started as a live co-op class and I still teach that, too.  The online and live students are in the same Canvas classroom with the same assignments, with the only difference being that the live students have a live lecture and don't have to watch the videos unless they are missing something in their notes.  There aren't notetaking templates, but some students choose to print the weekly homework pages and answer the questions as they work their way through the videos.  That's not my preferred method - I recommend that students learn to take notes and then synthesize that into answers for the questions - but for students who have challenges with taking notes for whatever reason, it seems to be effective.  There are some samples on the Fundafunda website.  

• Like 1

I think it can be hard to understand the material in a science class and do the labs in an asynchronous class, as it is essentially watching a video and answering questions. My child felt very alone, it was hard to get answers when needed or felt awkward to email for help, and as a result we are only doing synchronous classes now.

3 hours ago, stripe said:

I think it can be hard to understand the material in a science class and do the labs in an asynchronous class, as it is essentially watching a video and answering questions. My child felt very alone, it was hard to get answers when needed or felt awkward to email for help, and as a result we are only doing synchronous classes now.

This is a really legitimate concern. My dc did the Fundafunda course, and perhaps because it is also being taught as a live course, they never had any trouble getting support or questions answered when needed. I had to coach them through emails at some point - although I don't remember when or for what class.

Another concern for *fully* anxious classes is that it is SO hard to stick to a schedule of your own devising.