Menu

does my K need a vacation?

lulubelle

I am cutting back to the basics over Christmas but I don't want to stop reading and writing plus a bit of maths. Over the summer we had 3 weeks with nothing and he forgot sooooo much! i will just get him to read to me, write a page in his hw book and do a page of simple sums to keep him remembering the basics

Stephanie

If both of you are doing well and are happy with what you are doing, you don't necessarily need a break. We scaled back this month to just reading and math because we are so busy, but that's just our family. I plan to take a complete break for a week or two in the spring or summer when we will need it, and just do reading and math again for another few weeks until we are ready to ramp back up again for the new school year.

We take time off in little chunks but at that age I found my oldest did better with a week or more off from some of his subjects. When we came back to them he was fresh and eager and learned much faster. It always seemed like the previous content had solidified in his brain while he had a chance to catch his (mental) breath.

We don't tend to take any time off right now; we save it for the week we usually have sometime in February or March that is unseasonably warm. :o)

I'm taking 2 weeks off. Today was our last day. Yeah!!! I have completed 15 weeks. We will start back on Jan. 5th. I'm not having my k'er do anything over the next two weeks. We are on a good flow, but my dc needs a play break.

I believe breaks are helpful and necessary.