Menu

You can get your credit score for free here:

I dont' think I understand everything they give you.

My quizzle score was 84. Everything ranged from A to F (no C's though)

Question: Why would an account that was kept current then turned over to another account holder and also kept current be considered a negative on the credit report? Both are on my "negatives" page.

Edited by 2J5M9K

First of all, ignore their quiz score. Look at the number on the upper left-hand corner. This is your Experian score -- it's pretty close to the FICO score. Ignore all the other stuff about mortgage, etc.

For your second question, here's some info from Clark Howard. The whole credit scoring thing is really a joke in a way and not a good way of seeing someone's fiscal responsibility. But anyway . . .

http://clarkhoward.com/liveweb/shownotes/category/7/42/

With the high rates of credit card default, the banks are in a panic trying to close down stale credit card accounts that haven't been used in 24 months. That's a double whammy to you: It reduces your available credit and the length of the history of your credit. Both criteria can really hurt your overall credit score.

So the key is to use all your credit cards twice a year. Simply mark a day on your calendar, make a small purchase of $5 or less and then turn around and pay it right off. This keeps your account active and raises your credit score, plus it helps make it less likely that your account will be closed.

In related news, the banks are also redlining by shutting down accounts based on zip code. This practice is illegal -- though no one seems to be stopping it. The banks must justify for your individual situation why they're closing your line or reducing it.

The bottom-line is this: It's important to have more -- rather than less -- lines of credit right now. Have a backup card if your main one gets shut down.

Perhaps it falls under the same thing described above where a company "closed" your account in their eyes, when it was actually turned over to someone else?

I read about this free, reputable site where you can see your credit score without it affecting your credit score. I found out about it at the Clark Howard website.

https://www.quizzle.com/

Thank you SO much for posting this! I have tried for a year to get my credit report from Experian directly and always had problems. This is great! I only have two small things on there to take care of and now I know how to do it!

LOL - my dh was a 760. I had to call and brag. ;) Unfortunately, I agree with the pp that it is kind of a joke because I don't make a PENNY ...I pay all my bills on time though...with my husband's paycheck. I guess it is just all about paying on time and how long you have had credit. I had had some credit cards on there for 10-12 years. They are at a 0 balance and I suppose I forgot to close them. Now, I am glad i forgot because apparently it brought up my score.