Menu

Diagramming for student with dyslexia?

cathmom

I'v found diagramming helpful for ds11/dyslexic. We've used Rod & Staff off and on over the past 4 years. I really do think it improves writing. It gave him a better understanding of how sentences are constructed, that each word in a sentence has a function. Although, we didn't see immediate results. Its something developing.

Diagramming was a good thing for my dyslexic son. Seeing the relationships between the parts of the sentence in a visual way played to his strengths. We used the Hake Grammar program which is incremental with lots of review and practice (similar to Saxon).

If you're interested in a grammar program that only focuses on diagramming look at JAG. My ds did this in 4th grade and its a very strong program.

I am dyslexic and JAG was the first program that ever made sense to me. The programs recommend you make 3x5 cards of the different parts of speech the work through them in order (reminiscent of Winston), so I make really nice ones, hand laminated them and put them on a ring so they wouldn't get lost. This is working really well for my oldest, but she isn't dyslexic.

Heather

I am trying to figure out whether or not to have my DD12 who has moderate to severe dyslexia work through a diagramming book. What have you all done with this topic? TIA!

my 9.5 yo dyslexic dd is learning diagramming via FLL 3 and it's perfect. it's a little slow/repetetive so we move more quickly, but it's very very helpful for her and she loves it.

K

My dd12, mild/moderate dyslexia is finding the grammar books by Michael Clay Thompson (Royal Fireworks Press) to make a lot of sense. He uses a four part analysis; parts of speech, parts of the sentences, phrases and clauses. They are very well writing. He uses clever humor, too, which has draws my kids in.