Menu

Well…..🥰🥰

Ann.without.an.e

7 minutes ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

The NICU said they needed around 50 mL a feeding and that premies burn through food faster? So we have been nursing them (but she doesn't think they are getting that much via breast?) and then offering 50mL via bottle. Is that too much? They never seem quite hungry when she feeds them again in 3 hours but they said not to expect crying and hunger signs from premies. I have only ever breastfed, none of mine ever had a single bottle. So I really have no clue about these aspects. 

Yes it is although I really shouldn't be giving that specific advice online.  Don't change what you are doing without in person help.  This is where an in person lactation consultant is so valuable. Nicu is notorious for over feeding and screwing up breastfeeding. It takes quite a bit of time to undo what they learned there. 

Giving them a full feeding after breastfeeding isn't teaching them to breastfeed.  There are other more effective ways to make sure they are getting enough while also learning to breastfeed. If she really wants this to work then please help her get some in person help.   If she's ok with this way or knowing she will be on formula in a couple months most likely and she's fine with that they just keep loving her and them. But if she wants this to work she needs much better advice than the NICU gave.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, busymama7 said:

Yes it is although I really shouldn't be giving that specific advice online.  Don't change what you are doing without in person help.  This is where an in person lactation consultant is so valuable. Nicu is notorious for over feeding and screwing up breastfeeding. It takes quite a bit of time to undo what they learned there. 

Giving them a full feeding after breastfeeding isn't teaching them to breastfeed.  There are other more effective ways to make sure they are getting enough while also learning to breastfeed. If she really wants this to work then please help her get some in person help.   If she's ok with this way or knowing she will be on formula in a couple months most likely and she's fine with that they just keep loving her and them. But if she wants this to work she needs much better advice than the NICU gave.  

Tbh I don’t think they’re hungry enough to feed and then I’m force feeding them more. I think they’ll nurse better if they’re more hungry? 
I’ve encouraged DD to try it for a cycle or two - to try just nursing and see if they gain more hunger? We won’t try it too long but a few rounds may tell us more of what they need. I think their glucose levels have stabilized enough for it now.
She does want to exclusively breastfeed for the long term and what we’re doing def feels counter productive. 
Thanks 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, busymama7 said:

The pump parts can stay at room temp for 8 hrs.  Which means she can pick them up and pump briefly every hour (5 min even) and it will be more effective. And she doesn't have to clean the parts every time which adds to the exhaustion. 

I used to put mine in the fridge between sessions, and then just wash once a day. ( I had supplemental nursing system tubing to clean as well, and I had to do that every time so that’s where I put the efforts.)

2 hours ago, Ann.without.an.e said:

The NICU said they needed around 50 mL a feeding and that premies burn through food faster? So we have been nursing them (but she doesn't think they are getting that much via breast?) and then offering 50mL via bottle. Is that too much? They never seem quite hungry when she feeds them again in 3 hours but they said not to expect crying and hunger signs from premies. I have only ever breastfed, none of mine ever had a single bottle. So I really have no clue about these aspects. 

Could you afford to get a baby scale from Amazon? I think mine was like $60. Weighing them before and after feeding could give her a much better idea of what they’re getting and it could just end up being that they’re actually taking in plenty during their time at the breast and she could relax. If they’re not, then you’ll know that continuing to get some supplement in is worthwhile.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, KSera said:

I used to put mine in the fridge between sessions, and then just wash once a day. ( I had supplemental nursing system tubing to clean as well, and I had to do that every time so that’s where I put the efforts.)

Ahhh I think I did that too. It's been 17 years since my most difficult nurser but that sounds familiar 

• Thanks 1