Menu

Riverbend Press and a Book of Centuries Q?

$35 is a lot to spend on a notebook, but their Truth, Goodness and Beauty notebook is summoning me from the cart. This would mostly be used for morning basket time, not as a separate subject. 

Is the quality of Riverbend Press worth it? Will it really last us 3-5 years? If you’ve purchased their fancy notebooks did you regret it? 

Side question: when did you start a keepsake style Book of Centuries with your kids? I’ve tried to start them, but we do a lot Waldorf-ish style main lesson books so the BOC is just another thing. But I dream of starting one with each child. Should I invest in a nice quality BOC to last the next 5-8 years? (Kids are headed into 7th, 4th and 3rd.) Or should I just leave the BOC in dreamland? Haha

2 hours ago, wisdomandtreasures said:

Not to burst your bubble, but... Are your kids actually interested in keeping one? I was all enthusiastic about a BOC and nature journal but none of my children are interested. Quality doesn't matter if the notebook just sits on the shelf unused. 

I’ve never really presented the idea. We’ve done timelines on sentence strips or in our Main Lesson Books. 

Maybe I could just keep a BOC to start with. 

We do enjoy nature journals but we do them in a scrapbook style since we use No Sweat Nature Study. So basically, I cheat. Sorry Charlotte. 

• Haha 1

I, too, had visions of a lovely keepsake BOC. I don’t know what I imagined— that they take it to college with them and refer back to it in history class??? 
Reality: One of my kids (dysgraphia) is doing an online timeline. The other started a beautiful one (using a large format Leuchturm dotted journal) but it’s become one of the “one more thing” details that we never seem to get to these days, and doesn’t seem as relevant in high school.

• Thanks 1

On 2/11/2023 at 11:11 PM, WTM said:

I, too, had visions of a lovely keepsake BOC. I don’t know what I imagined— that they take it to college with them and refer back to it in history class??? 
Reality: One of my kids (dysgraphia) is doing an online timeline. The other started a beautiful one (using a large format Leuchturm dotted journal) but it’s become one of the “one more thing” details that we never seem to get to these days, and doesn’t seem as relevant in high school.

I just had a day dream flash in my eyes.

I’m sitting on the couch with my future grandchild flipping through 4 BOCs I’ve lugged around for 30 years. My sweet little grandchild looks up at me and says “Daddy says stuff like this is why I go to public school Grammy.” 

bahahaha 

ok I’m done with my homeschool delusions. This month anyway. 

Edited by AnneGG
  • Haha 5

@Momto6inIN

Off topic what do you use for a wall timeline?

We use the book of centuries from Simply Charlotte Mason. I think it's good for the kids the 4th and 6th grader keep their own. They are simple and not too expensive....mine were scratch and dent. I think my dd takes some pride in hers....my son writes something in it 2x a week as required....I think it helps him see what happened when....and I don't care that it's not "beautiful"

@countrymum It's an old timeline from Knowledge Quest. I don't know if they still carry it? And I use the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures. I puffy heart love it because I got it the first year we hs'ed and it just screams "hs'ing" to me but my kids are just, "Meh." 😂

2 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

@countrymum It's an old timeline from Knowledge Quest. I don't know if they still carry it? And I use the Homeschool in the Woods timeline figures. I puffy heart love it because I got it the first year we hs'ed and it just screams "hs'ing" to me but my kids are just, "Meh." 😂

Oh boy….. I went to look at Homeschool in the Woods. *falls back into trance*

Edited by AnneGG
  • Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
30 minutes ago, Homeschoolmom3 said:

Yes, it is worth it and it lasts!  I got one for each of my kids my middle son used it for three years before graduating and it held up wonderfully.  Mine is still going strong and my youngest has just begun his.  I highly recommend!

Wow! Awesome! Is that the Truth, Beauty and Goodness notebook? 

I still really love the idea of this. 

21 hours ago, AnneGG said:

Wow! Awesome! Is that the Truth, Beauty and Goodness notebook? 

I still really love the idea of this. 

No, it is a book of century book from Riverbend Press where kids can put in their dates and drawings/artifacts of things studied in each century.   https://www.riverbendpress.com/shop-notebooks/book-of-centuries 

🙂

Edited by Homeschoolmom3
  • Thanks 1