Menu

Elemental Science

Homeschoolz

Hi, we are currently in the grammar stage of Elemental Science. I saw on another thread someone said it was weak. 

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? It doesn't seem to be a popular curriculum or suggested very often. Is there a reason for this or just not one of the 'big' names?

We've really been enjoying the program and planned to use it all the way through. Now anxious I'm setting them up with a weak Science program incase they do want to pursue something in a Science field when older. 

My advice is to not plan "all the way through."  What is a good and appropriate curriculum selection for a 2nd grader may not meet the needs of 9th grader.  What works for one of your children may not be a good match for another child.  

In terms of science, my recommendation would be to not stress about what you are using if it is inspiring curiosity.  Elementary science should be about exposure and inspiring a love of science and discovery.  I would not worry about whether or not it is preparing for a science career in the future.  There is time enough to decide on a high school science curriculum when you get there.  

FWIW, I have used zero science curriculum until high school equivalent science.  Once they start high school science, I have used completely different things.  For example, my younger kids have used DO for physics, Connie's chem class, different things for biology for each of them, etc.  I have a chemE, a ds with his Master's in physics, and a college jr majoring in atmospheric science.  All are very strong science students.  Elementary and middle school were whole books, interest-led.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Homeschoolz said:

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this? It doesn't seem to be a popular curriculum or suggested very often. Is there a reason for this or just not one of the 'big' names?

The biggest complaint I've encountered (in real life) is that it requires a lot of writing. My child was not so great at the open ended "Draw a picture of the experiment. And say what happened?" question. He'd rather have the fill in the blank or just much more specific question. Otherwise I really like elemental science. 

As someone who pursued engineering, I agree with @8filltheheart science in elementary (honestly for me through high school) should be all about having fun and sparking curiosity. I mean high school you have to start thinking about getting into college, but really rigorous science doesn't start until they have enough math. Very few people complete Calculus before high school, that's what you need to dive deep into your physics and chemistry stuff.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Clarita said:

As someone who pursued engineering, I agree with @8filltheheart science in elementary (honestly for me through high school) should be all about having fun and sparking curiosity. I mean high school you have to start thinking about getting into college, but really rigorous science doesn't start until they have enough math. Very few people complete Calculus before high school, that's what you need to dive deep into your physics and chemistry stuff.

You can earn college credit for chemistry and biology without having completed calculus.  Non-STEM majors can get physics credit for alg-based physics at a lot of Us.  FWIW, all 3 of my STEM majors received credit for chemistry completed in high school (and 2 of those didn't take cal until sr yr.)   

And, yes, even college introductory science courses teach from the very beginning and contain all information required.  It is why the stress over elementary science curriculum is really rather moot.  Math will be THE determining factor in science.  I always cringe when I hear parents say their student wants to major in XYZ science field but their student is a very weak math student. 

4 minutes ago, 8filltheheart said:

You can earn college credit for chemistry and biology without having completed calculus.  Non-STEM majors can get physics credit for alg-based physics at a lot of Us.  FWIW, all 3 of my STEM majors received credit for chemistry completed in high school (and 2 of those didn't take cal until sr yr.)   

And, yes, even college introductory science courses teach from the very beginning and contain all information required.  It is why the stress over elementary science curriculum is really rather moot.  Math will be THE determining factor in science.  I always cringe when I hear parents say their student wants to major in XYZ science field but their student is a very weak math student. 

I agree - math is important! We have just switched to Math With Confidence 2 after nearly finishing another Grade 1 curriculum with some concerns and help from here! 

I actually didn't know Science wasn't that important at this age. I won't stress about it again! Thank you. :) 

I am taking 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!' on board. 😁 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1