Menu

Platform vs box spring

busymama7

I fell in love with a bedroom set that has a platform instead of box springs which we currently have.   I am married to the "prince and the pea" aka SUPER picky about comfort.  Like probably in this day and age would be diagnosed with sensory processing disorder.    He is concerned that it won't be as comfortable because the platform won't give like the springs do.  

We have a Murphy bed with a newer mattress than ours (that he hates) that he *chose* and also hates.  It has a platform.  He's saying it's fine presumably because he knows I love the set and wants to make a decision plus wants to please me.  But I am dreading the thought of getting it delivered and him being uncomfortable for the rest of our lives.   To be fair he isn't comfortable anywhere.  No couches, no chairs, no beds in other locations like when traveling.  (Ok I think there is one ugly lazy boy chair at his mom's he likes) But is is exhausting to deal with plus it would be an enormous expensive mistake.  We can replace our mattress but I don't trust that either.  Same problem although I guess a smaller investment.  

So my question is if anyone had a similar experience or has an opinion on the comfort of platform vs box spring with regard to "give". He says the platform won't "give". But he also hates beds with too much give so 🤷

I have a new, deep mattress on a platform like support (Bucky board on a platform).  I can’t feel the difference because the mattress itself envelopes all the ‘give’ I can feel.  The mattress technicians said that once the mattress is old and breaks down, the difference will be a bit palpable, but that’s years off, and in the meantime I have the bed I want.  Worst case I might need to get another mattress in less time than normal, but I keep things for a very long time regardless so I think it will work out fine.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Katy said:

Modern box springs don’t have much spring. They basically function just like a platform by supporting the mattress and letting it breath. I say get what you want & if there’s a problem upgrade your mattress. 

Agree. I don’t think there’s any such thing as a twenty year mattress anymore. 

• Like 1