Menu

Apologia General Science 2nd Edition

Nm.

My DD did it in 7th grade, but with a co-op. It was a pretty good fit for her, especially because it was her first real "textbook" science.  Oldest DS did it in 8th, and while he also had not done another textbook science before this, it was really too easy for him, and he didn't learn much new.  He was also supposed to do it as a co op class, but a last minute schedule conflict came up and it was easier to just stick with it at home than find something else. 

I think it's a pretty decent program, especially for a kid that needs to learn some middle school level basics.  7th was a sweet spot for us I guess. 

• Like 1

7th. It didn't last three months in my house. We (my oldest two and myself) found it tedious and boring, and it sucked all the curiosity and wonder out of our science. 🙃 My younger kids didn't get their first science textbook until high school, and books like Hewitt's conceptual line made the transition an entirely different story. 

• Like 1

My oldest 3 did not (they weren't available then) but the 4th one did. The oldest 3 do well with conventional study methods, but the 4th one needed more help being organized and knowing what to take notes about, so it was good that they came out with them for her to use.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/18/2023 at 12:27 PM, Momto6inIN said:

My oldest 4 have all used it and learned a lot from it in 7th grade.

On 1/15/2023 at 7:43 PM, Green Bean said:

The book is intended to be used in 7th grade or with a very motivated 6th grader. 

I was thinking of using this next year for my 8th grader, but ya’ll are saying it was best for a 7th grader. We’ve done general science-y things, you know, mammals, birds, trees, earth science, some biology and chemistry, but since it’s been awhile since we’ve done some of those, and I was hoping for a year of solid general science before starting high school level. Just curious—if this is better for 7th, what did you do in 8th?

8 hours ago, Ema said:

I was thinking of using this next year for my 8th grader, but ya’ll are saying it was best for a 7th grader. We’ve done general science-y things, you know, mammals, birds, trees, earth science, some biology and chemistry, but since it’s been awhile since we’ve done some of those, and I was hoping for a year of solid general science before starting high school level. Just curious—if this is better for 7th, what did you do in 8th?

I agree with Green Bean, it could be used in either grade. We used Apologia's 2nd edition Physical Science afterwards. I'm not a big fan of Apologia's current junior high and high school series, but the 2nd edition with Dr Jay Wile's name on them are great!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Momto6inIN said:

I agree with Green Bean, it could be used in either grade. We used Apologia's 2nd edition Physical Science afterwards. I'm not a big fan of Apologia's current junior high and high school series, but the 2nd edition with Dr Jay Wile's name on them are great!

That’s so funny. We couldn’t stand Wile’s versions and appreciate the new ones. To each their own, right?

So you didn’t like the 3rd edition? What didn’t you like about it? What did you like about the Wile one? I don’t think I have seen the Wile ones, just the 3rd edition.

8 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

That’s so funny. We couldn’t stand Wile’s versions and appreciate the new ones. To each their own, right?

Lol, yup. What you didn’t like about Wile’s and what you like about the new ones?

• Like 1

I think Apologia has a comparison on their website page for each new edition book. The new version is more of a true general science, survey course, as it covers a great many different branches of science and the basics of each. Wile only covered a few and then spent half the book on human anatomy and physiology. 

My older kids did not like his tone, either. The layout was a problem, as well. Wile’s own series has the same layout/tone as the 2nd ed Apologia books, if you want to see.

• Like 2

I'm so glad there are options that fit everyone 😊 

I personally am not a fan of the tone of Apologia when it comes to people who do believe in evolution. I believe YEC is correct both scientifically and a biblically, but I dislike the feeling I get from Apologia that people who believe differently don't have adequate/correct faith. I don't feel that same tone from Dr Wile's books even though they are YE too. YMMV.

Dr Wile also has pointed out several scientific errors in some of Apologia's newer editions. I realize that he's selling a product too 😉 but after meeting him in person a couple of times at conventions and using his books for several years, I trust his judgement.

I am sincerely glad the Apologia books work for so many families! But I wanted to be honest in my answer as to why I'm not a fan. I hope I didn't step on any toes.

• Like 3

Agree with you about the tone of the new Apologia books. We used just General and bailed. I don’t like our current choice, either, but it gets done.

Second frustration of homeschooling: science for all levels that’s just interested in teaching correct science, not theology.

Edited by Green Bean

I appreciate your insights. As someone who doesn’t get too wrapped up in the YE vs OE, I was hoping we could kind of just gloss over those areas. I looked through the samples online, granted the pages I saw didn’t get into the theories much. Do the YE views and the tone you speak of pervade too much for us to gloss over, or just discuss the different theories out there and let it be? Not that I am not concerned with Biblical teaching, it’s just that this just isn’t a hill I am going to choose to die on, ya know?

I'm so glad there are options that fit everyone 😊 

I personally am not a fan of the tone of Apologia when it comes to people who do believe in evolution. I believe YEC is correct both scientifically and a biblically, but I dislike the feeling I get from Apologia that people who believe differently don't have adequate/correct faith. I don't feel that same tone from Dr Wile's books even though they are YE too. YMMV.

Dr Wile also has pointed out several scientific errors in some of Apologia's newer editions. I realize that he's selling a product too 😉 but after meeting him in person a couple of times at conventions and using his books for several years, I trust his judgement.

I am sincerely glad the Apologia books work for so many families! But I wanted to be honest in my answer as to why I'm not a fan. I hope I didn't step on any toes.

I appreciate your honesty! Thank you. This is all helpful. Did you use the videos at all that go with the course?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Green Bean said:

Agree with you about the tone of the new Apologia books. We used just General and bailed. I don’t like our current choice, either, but it gets done.

Second frustration of homeschooling: science for all levels that’s just interested in teaching correct science, not theology.

AMEN! Why is it so hard to just find a solid, good science program that covers theories, but lets the parents teach what they believe about some of that?

Did you use the videos that went with the course? DD really likes science and has been wanting to do experiments and stuff, so I think she would like this. But I also don’t want one that is too preachy or condescending.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ema said:

I appreciate your insights. As someone who doesn’t get too wrapped up in the YE vs OE, I was hoping we could kind of just gloss over those areas. I looked through the samples online, granted the pages I saw didn’t get into the theories much. Do the YE views and the tone you speak of pervade too much for us to gloss over, or just discuss the different theories out there and let it be? Not that I am not concerned with Biblical teaching, it’s just that this just isn’t a hill I am going to choose to die on, ya know?

I appreciate your honesty! Thank you. This is all helpful. Did you use the videos at all that go with the course?

I did find it preachy, yes. Not everyone does, obviously.

We didn't use the videos but we do all the experiments/demonstrations. Dr Wile's Berean Builders series might be an option for you. We have found them to be good, solid, college prep science.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Momto6inIN said:

I did find it preachy, yes. Not everyone does, obviously.

We didn't use the videos but we do all the experiments/demonstrations. Dr Wile's Berean Builders series might be an option for you. We have found them to be good, solid, college prep science.

Will you still use the 2nd edition general science or do you now use atomic age instead ?

I really like the looks of 2nd edition.  It doesn’t look nearly as dry as I thought.  I like the history included that I saw.  Human body is done for 4 units out of 16.  I think Atomic Age might be a step up in difficulty?

Edited by Lovinglife123

10 hours ago, Lovinglife123 said:

Will you still use the 2nd edition general science or do you now use atomic age instead ?

I really like the looks of 2nd edition.  It doesn’t look nearly as dry as I thought.  I like the history included that I saw.  Human body is done for 4 units out of 16.  I think Atomic Age might be a step up in difficulty?

I haven't decided yet 🤪 I still have 2 more years til I have a 7th grader again!

• Like 1

@Lovinglife123

I'm looking at both Atomic age and Apologia General 2nd edition too.....I liked the downloadable simple notebook from berean builders website for this child and the availability of a current lab kit from rainbow resource....I am planning to compare table of contents tonight....

I have a 7th grader in the fall....we will use audio whatever we do...

Edited by countrymum
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
Posted (edited)

@KaitNeel3

We used Atomic Age. At first, my son had trouble with it and didn't enjoy the first few chapters at all. Once we got the audio working he actually admitted he enjoyed it some. He liked the last half best once it got out of really tiny things like atoms and cells. 

If you use it, don't give up....it actually gets easier;)

Use the audio if your child doesn't read really really well.....lots and lots of hard to pronounce new vocabulary! 

We did the chapter review orally and discussed the chapter then. I did not give the tests. I was not teaching test taking with his first hard textbook science;)

So know your goals and your child. Mine has dyslexia so just writing the answers to the 1-3 daily questions was enough. I will make him do the chapter review on paper instead of orally sometime next year or the year after.

Edited by countrymum
  • Thanks 1