Menu

How do I put a DE (comm. college) course on a HS transcript?

Is your transcript organized by semester or year? 

I usually put the DE course in the appropriate section on the transcript (grade or subject). I have a column to indicate the grade when taken if it's a subject organized transcript. 

Each outside course has a superscript annotation that corresponds to the source of the class. For example HCC might be Honolulu Community College. There is a key either in the footer or in a box towards the bottom of the page.

Yes, I assigned a full high school credit for a college course of 3 college credits or higher. I usually merge lab and lecture credits for the high school credit (ie, 3 cr lecture and 1 cr lab sections are listed as 1 high school credit).

If the student took sequential courses over multiple college semesters, I do assign multiple high school credits. For example General Chemistry I and General Chemistry II were a total of two high school credits. 

For the course name, I usually use the college name (English Composition not ENG 100). 

Finally on the course description I put all the info and context. Course name, course number, college credits, college name, online or in person, on campus, course content, and any extra context. For example, a couple of my kids took a course named College Algebra, which was the first semester of a two course sequence in Precalculus. So the description said that, because College Algebra can refer to many things including remedial courses. 

• Like 2

I list college courses in bold on the transcript. I have a "notes section" that explains: Bold: college course taken at XY university.
I use the course name (abbreviated if needed) and number as it appears on the college transcript.
For ex:
Phys23: Engineering Physics I (XYU)
English 123: Shakespeare (XYU)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, regentrude said:

I list college courses in bold on the transcript. I have a "notes section" that explains: Bold: college course taken at XY university.
I use the course name (abbreviated if needed) and number as it appears on the college transcript.
For ex:
Phys23: Engineering Physics I (XYU)
English 123: Shakespeare (XYU)

For my kids, bolding or an asterisk didn't work as well as a superscript code, because they had many different outside providers, including multiple colleges.

I like the idea of bolding or an asterisk if there is only one source other than home based coursework. Often the simplest format that conveys the necessary information is best.

@regentrudeDid you have a full line for each course? I had two columns, so space for course names was limited. I'm not sure I'd do it the same way if starting from scratch. 

Edited by Sebastian (a lady)

@regentrude's approach is clean & elegant & easy to skim — skimming is important for most college-admissions officers. Remember: They see a gazillion of these things, and you don't want to raise any hackles with a transcript that requires intense study to decipher. 

The other important point is that such a transcript implies a thorough and easy-to-read course descriptions document — ideally organized in a sequence that exactly follows the sequence shown in the transcript.

For another approach, see the images below. (Hat tip to my wife's workshop for parents, in which she shares these templates.) — Note the "key to course levels" in the right-column; it includes a code "U" for university-level courses. (This student did classes not a community college but in a local university's "taste of college" program.) Notice, too, the pale-green shading for "advanced" courses, i.e., above high-school-level coursework.

Sample One-page transcript.jpg

p1 - Course descriptions SAMPLE 11-09-13.jpg

Edited by royspeed
add important details
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/15/2022 at 11:09 AM, regentrude said:

I had a bunch of columns. Here is a screenshot of a portion of the transcript:

screenshot transcript.jpg

This is off-topic, but how did they meet the prerequisites for English 227? Did they take an AP English or CLEP English exam?

These are good-looking enough that I wish this thread was linked in the HS motherlode thread

Edited by Malam