Menu

Writing Tales vs. Classical Writing

arcara

I'm looking to add one of these to my dd's curriculum next year for 4th grade. However, I can't really decide between the two, or tell the real differences.

Writing Tales has good samples that I've looked at. I can see that you read a story, do some vocab, grammar, and copywork, and then rewrite the story. Then, there's some other work the 2nd week on the same reading with a final rewrite.

However, I've seen that a lot of you like Classical Writing, but I can't find good samples. From what I've read on the website, it looks like it would be a lot like Writing Tales. How is it different?

Thanks!

WT is a lot more fun, with games and whatnot written into the lesson plans. I did WT2 with a co-op class last year and found it VERY easy to teach and very fun. CW overwhelms some people and makes the grammar or spelling or other components seem unskippable. (not true, but people feel that way, kwim?) With WT, we kept the grammar and spelling we were already doing and still did what they included, no problem. It's not trying to do so much in one curriculum or replace what you already have going that works. It has a bit lighter time requirement as a result. My class was 1 hour a week and then the students needed another couple hours at home to finish out the homework and their draft. Your dd could go directly into WT2 if she's already been writing her own narrations. I see she's covering 4th gr grammar this year, so she'd be plenty ready for the grammar in WT2. And since she's a grade advanced on everything else you have listed for her, that will probably turn out to be the better fit anyway. From WT2, you can go into Homer, no problem. We did WT2 last year with my dd as a 3rd grader, so your dd will probably be just fine going into WT2 now if you want. Just a thought.

My son's 9yo, also in 4th grade. I looked at both programs. Writing Tales seems more fun and has more advanced grammar and other exercises. However, for my son, in both cases the grammar and other exercises were too elementary. (We do grammar and vocabulary outside of the writing program.)

We're actually using both CW Aesop and IEW. I looked at and liked Writing Tales (actually preferred it), but selected CW because I really like what comes later in CW, starting with Homer, and I thought I needed to go with CW Aesop to insure continuity. As it turns out, in our circumstances, we could have used either CW or WT or neither and still transitioned to CW Homer afterwards.

Here's a summary of some of the main differences:

- CW Aesop has you rewrite the story, then add dialogue and description.

- WT has you rewrite the story, then embellish it with your own made-up additions.

- I feel the grammar and other exercises are more advanced and more interesting in WT than in CW Aesop.

In our case, all we use CW for is to read the stories, outline them, add dialogue, add description, and add the "dress-ups" my son's learning in IEW. We could have done this without either program, just using the fables and stories themselves.

Probably one reason you see a lot of people using CW is because it has additional levels that continue beyond 4th grade.

If I had to choose one over the other, I'd choose Writing Tales for 4th grade, then go on to CW Homer afterwards.

I'm trying to convince my co-op to use Writing Tales next year. I have used both and it is far more accessible than CW. I still think CW is a great program, but learning is sooo much easier with WT.

Writing Tales' lay out is much more user friendly and clutter free.

Kimberly

Edited to add: Convincing, in this case, means that I gave them copies of the curriculum for levels 1 and 2, as well as my recommendation that the books are very good.:001_smile:

Edited by Kimber

• 4 weeks later...