Menu

West Virginia boardies

fraidycat

Do you know of any place in WV where a young adult could access a developmental vision exam and (possibly) therapy.

Or, for anyone else reading, can you give me ideas of what else to advise this young person. They struggle with reading because the "words jump around on the page", and are feeling down about their chances of success in college, but would really like to go. They did one semester, but grades were poor, so are now working part-time/casual while trying to figure out what to do next.

They don't have much parental support, so I'm trying to give ideas and support as a third party via my daughter (it's her friend), from another country - we are in Canada. They are open to suggestions.

I grew up in WV and it has been my experience that to get any decent medical care of any kind, you have to go to Charleston or Morgantown and almost everything is on the WVU system. 

Maybe start here: https://www.advanced-eyecare.com/vision-therapy-optometrist/vision-therapy-for-dyslexia-add-adhd-learning-disabilities/

WV is bigger than most people think and it can take hours to get anywhere. It doesn’t look THAT big on a flat map, but the terrain increases the mileage in real life. 

Edited by KungFuPanda
  • Like 4

Depending on where they are in WV, there is an excellent doc who has an office in Winchester, VA, just over the border. Virginia Vision Center. Dr Tod Davis, but the other docs are good as well. He has several locations, and I’ve not been to this particular one but it’s still listed on his website.

• Like 1

I believe Huntington is the closest city, and that Charleston is easily accessible too, maybe? I should look at a map to see if those are the right names or if those cities are clear across the state from each other. Lol. They live in a tiny little village/town that I can never remember the name of. 

But, I will forward the info to them and they can decide what to do with it. 

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, fraidycat said:

I believe Huntington is the closest city, and that Charleston is easily accessible too, maybe? I should look at a map to see if those are the right names or if those cities are clear across the state from each other. Lol. They live in a tiny little village/town that I can never remember the name of. 

But, I will forward the info to them and they can decide what to do with it. 

Oh, I think Winchester is probably too far. WV is so big!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Spryte said:

Oh, I think Winchester is probably too far. WV is so big!

I looked. I did have the right names, so Yay me! 😂😂 

So it appears that west West Virginia is the area we are looking for. I've sent the one in Charleston.

Thanks for the help, ladies.

• Like 1