Menu

Tell me about trivia nights

heartlikealion

Apparently they are doing them every Tues night in the city. But I wouldn't have a "team" because my friends never want to go out. I would maybe have to ask to join others or play alone. Have you been? how is it? Do you have to show your answers each time (even if you left it blank or know it's wrong)? I'm trying to get over anxiety about going if it could be fun... but it also sounds like it could be a nightmare. 

Thanks! 

Our library does one monthly. If you come without a team they will help you find one. When they ask a question, each team writes on a slip of paper and turns it in. When all answers are in, they tell the right answer and the library labels keep tally on a big white board. There usually 8-10 teams so people usually only notice if their team gets it right. It is so fun!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I noticed it because the meetup group I used to be in mentioned it. I left that group because it says 20s-40s and I was the oldest person in the group! They were all closer to 20s. But if I show up and it's just me and them that's kinda weird haha. I don't know if others will be there, etc. but it is in a public food hall so maybe. 

We love them! The venues we’ve gone to are made up of friend groups and I think it would be awkward to ask to join. You could be your own team though. You fill out your answers or (guesses) on your sheet and submit to a DJ. Teams gave names and the DJ corrects the entries and names the teams from most correct to least. Most are 4 or 5 rounds. The top 3 typically win prizes. No one knows what you get right or wrong. It’s a lot of fun, whether you win or lose. 

Edited by whitestavern
  • Like 3

We went to one recently, it was held at a brewpub outdoors under heaters (indoor seating option too). It was really fun— there were 6 of us including one bonafide millennial (lol), which came in handy for 90’s era popular music. Six was a good number to provide enough random knowledge between all of us.

Everyone that I noticed came in a group, but I don’t think it would have be weird to ask to join with others. I’d think that has more to do with the general culture of where you live.

Oh I see you already went— good for you! Glad you had fun!

• Like 1

Glad to hear you went. Don't feel bad about how you did individually, we all have bad days, good days, and ok days.

Dh and I used to do trivia night once a week with a group of friends before the pandemic. We've gone 3 times since and love it. Sometimes we win, some times we dont

• Like 1

Sometimes I knew the music but they didn’t explicitly say who sings this and then a teammate would add that to the paper following the previous question while I just thought it was random music playing in the background. The structure kinda threw me off and some questions were leaked ahead on Facebook so my team didn’t think twice about those.

1 minute ago, heartlikealion said:

Sometimes I knew the music but they didn’t explicitly say who sings this and then a teammate would add that to the paper following the previous question while I just thought it was random music playing in the background. The structure kinda threw me off and some questions were leaked ahead on Facebook so my team didn’t think twice about those.

yeah, we went to one trivia night at a local brewery and our friends who had been there made a comment like, 'well this is the throw away question that everyone knows.'  That threw me off a bit because I don't see the point of giving out the answer ahead of time, it defeats the purpose.

But I will say, that the structure of trivia games does vary. We've had ones that are just 3 rounds, 10 questions each and then the highest score wins.  Others have been a round of ten questions, followed by a halftime round that is on a sheet of paper and is completed while the game runner takes a break, then another round, and on the last question you wager points.  

• Like 1