Menu

November craft thread

Melissa in Australia

I admire those who can sew their own clothing. I’ve always been a quilter/crafter. However, there is this garment sewing craze on YT started by a lady who is challenging people to make the walk away dress. (I think the lady’s name is Stephanie) If you agree to time and video yourself making the dress, she will email you the pattern. The idea is that you should be able to start the pattern in the morning and “walk away” in it by lunch time. It’s been fun watching all these people make the dress. I want to try it. 😂 

7 minutes ago, Mona said:

I admire those who can sew their own clothing. I’ve always been a quilter/crafter. However, there is this garment sewing craze on YT started by a lady who is challenging people to make the walk away dress. (I think the lady’s name is Stephanie) If you agree to time and video yourself making the dress, she will email you the pattern. The idea is that you should be able to start the pattern in the morning and “walk away” in it by lunch time. It’s been fun watching all these people make the dress. I want to try it. 😂 

I did that one last month. It is on the October craft thread. I was a bit miffed that she didn't mention me as I had a slightly faster time than the winner, but I only sent her photos 

I dont do YouTube videos. I guess I didn't qualify 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Melissa in Australia said:

I did that one last month. It is on the October craft thread. I was a bit miffed that she didn't mention me as I had a slightly faster time than the winner, but I only sent her photos 

I dont do YouTube videos. I guess I didn't qualify 

Oh, wow! I will go find that thread and check you out.  👏 

Looks terrific 

How did you get the narrow border to have those textured ridges? Or is it from the quilting? Looks very cool. 

I have only once tried quilting with a machine. It was a disaster. It takes me a good 9 months to hand quilt with only quilting in the ditch. So I haven't done one in a long while

5 minutes ago, Melissa in Australia said:

Looks terrific 

How did you get the narrow border to have those textured ridges? Or is it from the quilting? Looks very cool. 

I have only once tried quilting with a machine. It was a disaster. It takes me a good 9 months to hand quilt with only quilting in the ditch. So I haven't done one in a long while

Thanks!

I quilted it that way so up close the "birch" bark looks that way. I plucked up the batting just a little with a needle after I pinned the center of the quilt before I pinned the borders, and tried to be really careful and accurate so the "puffing" was only in that border. Then when I smoothed and pulled the borders out (by hand, I do not have room for stretcher bars), I allowed just a hint of give in that border, pinned heavily, and then stretched the outer borders flat. Stitch in the ditch around all the seams then held the texture in place. Hard to say how many washings it will take before the batting matte back down. I hope it doesn't look bad after that. It is a gift for our soon to be daughter in law.

The binding will be a bit more flat and uniform when I get it ironed. I took the photos immediately after putting in the last stitch.

• Like 1