Menu

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ November 2022 Frugalistas ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

mommyoffive

All I needed for groceries this week was milk.  Stopped at Aldi's and they had almost no milk of any kind today.  Bought what they had of the kind I wanted and will have to stop by again later in the week so I still have $77 left in the grocery budget.

In my attempt to clean things out of the freezer, I wanted to use up a bag of the whole peppers I have for stuffed peppers.  However since I'm out of hamburger I decided to create something new using italian sausage.  So my pizza stuffed peppers was born.  Kids asked what I was making and I told them, they all groaned and said how horrible it sounded.  Now that they are eating it, they have all said it tastes pretty good.  Currently have emptied 26 containers out of my 50 goal from the freezer.  I also found a few more bags of frozen veggies and a big container of tomato soup so I'm feeling pretty good about the veggie supply now.  

Dog who had stitches last week threw up last night and refused food this morning and I had to take her back to the vet.  She's running a fever, dehydrated and had just the tiniest spot of infection.  However the vet said she's acting like she feels far worse than anything she can find a cause for.  She had 2 of these episodes earlier in the spring which had resulted in several ER visits but never found a cause.  She does have a sensitive stomach and I had to use some different things (like cheese and hot dogs) to get her medicine down so it's possible that the change is what threw off her system.  But they got her rehydrated and gave her a shot of antibiotic.  Good news was they only charged $45.  I was expecting hundreds since that was the typical charge this spring.  

Ruby's Pantry pick up tomorrow.  Normally they have a partial list posted by now but haven't seen anything yet.  So no idea what I'm getting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

All I needed for groceries this week was milk.  Stopped at Aldi's and they had almost no milk of any kind today.  Bought what they had of the kind I wanted and will have to stop by again later in the week so I still have $77 left in the grocery budget.

In my attempt to clean things out of the freezer, I wanted to use up a bag of the whole peppers I have for stuffed peppers.  However since I'm out of hamburger I decided to create something new using italian sausage.  So my pizza stuffed peppers was born.  Kids asked what I was making and I told them, they all groaned and said how horrible it sounded.  Now that they are eating it, they have all said it tastes pretty good.  Currently have emptied 26 containers out of my 50 goal from the freezer.  I also found a few more bags of frozen veggies and a big container of tomato soup so I'm feeling pretty good about the veggie supply now.  

Dog who had stitches last week threw up last night and refused food this morning and I had to take her back to the vet.  She's running a fever, dehydrated and had just the tiniest spot of infection.  However the vet said she's acting like she feels far worse than anything she can find a cause for.  She had 2 of these episodes earlier in the spring which had resulted in several ER visits but never found a cause.  She does have a sensitive stomach and I had to use some different things (like cheese and hot dogs) to get her medicine down so it's possible that the change is what threw off her system.  But they got her rehydrated and gave her a shot of antibiotic.  Good news was they only charged $45.  I was expecting hundreds since that was the typical charge this spring.  

Ruby's Pantry pick up tomorrow.  Normally they have a partial list posted by now but haven't seen anything yet.  So no idea what I'm getting.

You are doing great on the grocery budget!!!

I hope your dog is ok.

Report back about RP.

Halfway through the month and we are killing it! I hate needing to budget again but it is going well with dh fully onboard.  

We got 2 free turkeys so our Thanksgiving celebration on Sunday will not break the bank.  

Dh is getting his tattoo worked on so that'll be a few hundred, but he gets a huge discount on it and I think has saved up some of it with his discretionary money.

Our only other big expense the rest of the month is finishing the Christmas shopping. Not positive what that dollar amount will be but it will certainly be under budget.

• Like 2

There is a weird smell in our living room. Now I've been combating the dog pee smell in there for months because both dogs started randomly peeing in there if they weren't let out immediately when asked. I got a good system down for the pee smell in the carpet but now there is a mysterious musty smell. It seems to be originating under the steps but once we go under there it doesn't smell.

There is no water leak that we can find. I'm scared whatever is causing the smell will cost big money. 

• Sad 3

I did finally turn the heat on last Saturday but by changing some routines, I've managed to keep it so the heat is only running at night.  See, growing up my grandma always made a big deal about only running the oven really early in the morning during the summers so that the house wouldn't heat up. So I decided to use that logic and try to run my heat producing things during the day.  Normally I load the dishwasher and run it just as I'm heading to bed.  I often toss laundry into the dryer at that time to. So I've made it a point to only run those things when they will be finishing when we are awake.  That way we can take advantage of the extra heat they produce when I was going to run those appliances anyways. Dishwasher is huge because we normally open it when it finishes and let all the heat out.  Don't know how much it might be saving us but figured it can't hurt.

Dog that has stitches figured out if she sits in this most convoluted position she can reach her stitches.  She has now reopened the site.  Will be calling in the morning and see if they think it needs to be restitched or if it's healed enough. She's still shaking tonight so I don't the fever is fully gone either.

Ruby's Pantry was good.  I was a few minutes late and missed my time slot so I ended up waiting a bit longer than usual for the next slot (the pre order go in every 15 minutes).  However, the cash shares (400 of them are available for whoever shows up fcfs) sold out in 15 minutes.  They've been selling out earlier and earlier so I will make sure to order as soon as the preorder opens. for next month.

I'm going to swipe someone else's photo again because she does a much better job displaying than I do.  Mine is exactly the same instead of one hashbrown and one mashed potato, I got 2 mashed potatoes. This is what 2 shares look like.

Nomber.jpg

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I did finally turn the heat on last Saturday but by changing some routines, I've managed to keep it so the heat is only running at night.  See, growing up my grandma always made a big deal about only running the oven really early in the morning during the summers so that the house wouldn't heat up. So I decided to use that logic and try to run my heat producing things during the day.  Normally I load the dishwasher and run it just as I'm heading to bed.  I often toss laundry into the dryer at that time to. So I've made it a point to only run those things when they will be finishing when we are awake.  That way we can take advantage of the extra heat they produce when I was going to run those appliances anyways. Dishwasher is huge because we normally open it when it finishes and let all the heat out.  Don't know how much it might be saving us but figured it can't hurt.

Dog that has stitches figured out if she sits in this most convoluted position she can reach her stitches.  She has now reopened the site.  Will be calling in the morning and see if they think it needs to be restitched or if it's healed enough. She's still shaking tonight so I don't the fever is fully gone either.

Ruby's Pantry was good.  I was a few minutes late and missed my time slot so I ended up waiting a bit longer than usual for the next slot (the pre order go in every 15 minutes).  However, the cash shares (400 of them are available for whoever shows up fcfs) sold out in 15 minutes.  They've been selling out earlier and earlier so I will make sure to order as soon as the preorder opens. for next month.

I'm going to swipe someone else's photo again because she does a much better job displaying than I do.  Mine is exactly the same instead of one hashbrown and one mashed potato, I got 2 mashed potatoes. This is what 2 shares look like.

Nomber.jpg

I hope your dog is ok.

Amazing that you can only run your heat at night.  I wish I had a house that I could do that in.

Huge lot of stuff. What is in the huge jars? Is it shampoo?  What is in the cans? And the boxes under the Kodiak cakes? Light bulbs!  That is worth a lot.  And the yellow packets next to the apples?

6 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope your dog is ok.

Amazing that you can only run your heat at night.  I wish I had a house that I could do that in.

Huge lot of stuff. What is in the huge jars? Is it shampoo?  What is in the cans? And the boxes under the Kodiak cakes? Light bulbs!  That is worth a lot.  And the yellow packets next to the apples?

The huge jars are pickled banana peppers like you see served on sandwiches or salad bars sometimes.  There is 2 bottles of shampoo (or maybe conditioner, I can't remember as I just told the kids to put it in the bathroom). 

The metal cans are the mystery vegetable of the month.  I haven't ever opened them because we don't eat canned vegetables.  I just wait till I have a bag full and then offer them up on the group's Facebook page.  Someone will always claim them.  But from the reports I've heard they typically contain green beans but there have also been reports of beets and potatoes.

The boxes under the Kodiak stuff are individual cups of coffee.  As a non coffee drinker, I think they are the kind designed for a machine (which of course we don't have).  I have one kid who likes coffee so she is going to see if there is some way to use them.

I will never have to buy that kind of lightbulb again!  I think this is the third month I've gotten them.  I have a HUGE tote of lightbulbs.  Between these and the ones I got from Project Home a few years ago and then Focus on Energy sends us some every year as well).

The orange bags are cheese sauce.  We got some last month too.  I haven't used them yet because I've been focusing on eating down the freezer but it looks pretty good.

My freezer emptying project took a big hit since lots of this went in the freezer but since it's only suppose to be in the 20's the next few days, I will make use of my outdoor "freezer" to hold stuff while I'm cleaning them out.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I hope your dog is ok.

It's not super obvious but there is also 6 boxes of cracker jacks and 2 cases (of 12 bars each) of Go Macro bars.  We love the go macro bars.  I've never bought them but a google search says they sell for around $2.00 a bar.  

Edited by cjzimmer1
  • Like 1

Well crap.  On my way home from nature school I was behind a big dump truck filled with rock/sand.   I went slowed way down because I didn't want anything to come out of the truck and hit me.  Even though I was probably 7 to 9 car lengths back a rock came out of his truck and hit my windshield, and of course cracked it.  I was about 3 mins from home.  I am so pissed.  My week has just sucked on a bunch of other reasons.  

• Sad 6

15 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

Well crap.  On my way home from nature school I was behind a big dump truck filled with rock/sand.   I went slowed way down because I didn't want anything to come out of the truck and hit me.  Even though I was probably 7 to 9 car lengths back a rock came out of his truck and hit my windshield, and of course cracked it.  I was about 3 mins from home.  I am so pissed.  My week has just sucked on a bunch of other reasons.  

Ugh!  I'm so sorry.  I thought they were required to have loads like that covered.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Ugh!  I'm so sorry.  I thought they were required to have loads like that covered.

I have never seen them covered?  I was behind a dump truck I think last week and it kept dumping out rocks out of it's load too.   We were lucky we didn't get hit then. 

This was a pretty good sized rock.  I am so thankful it didn't come through the windshield and hit one of my kids.  2 mins before this we saw a horrible accident where 3 cars were totaled and the police hadn't even gotten there yet.  I am grateful that all I got was a rock to my windshield.

7 minutes ago, mommyoffive said:

I have never seen them covered?  I was behind a dump truck I think last week and it kept dumping out rocks out of it's load too.   We were lucky we didn't get hit then. 

This was a pretty good sized rock.  I am so thankful it didn't come through the windshield and hit one of my kids.  2 mins before this we saw a horrible accident where 3 cars were totaled and the police hadn't even gotten there yet.  I am grateful that all I got was a rock to my windshield.

Did it fly straight off the truck and hit you or bounce on the ground first?  Googling says if came straight off the truck and hit you, it would qualify as not securing the load properly and you could possible seek compensation from them.  Might not be worth the hassle but something you could look into.  At the very least I'd report it and hope they get fined.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Did it fly straight off the truck and hit you or bounce on the ground first?  Googling says if came straight off the truck and hit you, it would qualify as not securing the load properly and you could possible seek compensation from them.  Might not be worth the hassle but something you could look into.  At the very least I'd report it and hope they get fined.

Right out of the truck.  I didn't get a picture of the license plate.  From as far back as I was, I couldn't even see a license plate.  I didn't want to get closer to possibly have another rock come out.  There was one stop light before I turned off the highway to home and hope it would turn red so I could maybe get a plate, but it didn't and I didn't want to keep trying to follow the truck away from home.

Dh got paid his quarterly bonus. 

Grocery order in.

Dh is doing all the dance driving today and yesterday.   All kids have rehearsal today so I am alone in the house for the first time since maybe a year ago.  I love being home alone so much.

bought some new winter gloves for kids

Picked up subway for a family celebration.  Haven't eaten out since August.

Edited by mommyoffive

I sold several boxes of books to the local homeschool store. I think I would’ve made more selling online, but between our house flooring situation and my medical life, we just needed to get it done. The store offered credit only, but it was sufficient to take care of my shopping list for the next two years. We donated what they didn’t take to a thrift store. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I sold several boxes of books to the local homeschool store. I think I would’ve made more selling online, but between our house flooring situation and my medical life, we just needed to get it done. The store offered credit only, but it was sufficient to take care of my shopping list for the next two years. We donated what they didn’t take to a thrift store. 

Wow!! That is so cool that you have that in your area.

Great deals on Lego Advent Calendars on Amazon and Walmart

2022 LEGO Harry Potter Advent Calendar Set
Only $28.79 shipped (regularly $44.99) on Amazon

2022 LEGO Marvel Guardians of the Galaxy Advent Calendar
Only $28.79 shipped (regularly $44.99) on Amazon and Walmart.com

2022 LEGO Friends Advent Calendar
Only $22.39 (regularly $34.99) on Walmart.com

2022 LEGO Star Wars Advent Calendar
Only $35.99 shipped on Walmart.com

Amazon Spin & Win Sweepstakes: Chance to Win up to

$20 Amazon Credit

Amazon is running a daily Spin & Win Sweepstakes for a chance to win Amazon credit up to $20. Sweepstakes is playable only on the Amazon Shopping Mobile App every day until November 28.

Available prizes:
  • $5 Amazon Credit
    • 5,000 available per day
    • Odds of winning: 1 in 1,000
  • $10 Amazon Credit
    • 2,500 available per day
    • Odds of winning: 1 in 2,000
  • $20 Amazon Credit
    • 1,000 available per day
    • Odds of winning: 1 in 5,000

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Got a crazy amazing deal on boots for ds.  I am hoping they fit.  I had already bought him a pair for this year as he grew out of the ones from last year.  But he grew out of them from the time I bought them in Oct and the time he needed them just a few weeks later.

Hugs on that. My kids jumped 5 shoe sizes a year for a couple of years on average when puberty really kicked in. It was so expensive to keep replacing clothes and shoes and coats and other basic necessaries.

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, lmrich said:

Can you give a link or tell which airline? 

Just use google flights.

I did a fast search for ORD to Rome and see deals starting in Dec  $475 on Delta, American, United, Lufthansa, KLM, Aer Lingus and lots more.  You might want to check PE too because for this same route I am seeing deals on SAS in the 600s in Jan and Feb. Same for ORD to Paris in PE in the 600s.  And ORD to DUB in PE in the 400s.  Also great deals in E and PE to Berlin, London, Warsaw, Copenhagen, Manchester, and more.

Edited by mommyoffive

Only made 41 of my goal of freezer items but it was cold enough this weekend that I could move everything outside to clean the freezers (normally I try to whittle it down to one and then just move stuff back and forth between my two uprights).  Really glad I got it done as my neighbor dropped off two turkeys this morning and my DH went and picked up the beef this afternoon.  There is a little room left but not much.

I grabbed the last few things I needed for Thanksgiving and I still have $50 left of my grocery cash.  So there will be no problem making it through the month on that.  And with the final totals on the beef in, I have $250 left in the budgeted grocery account.  Normally I go out on Black Friday and grab a few cheap turkeys but since I have no room, I'll have to let that pass (unless I get ambitious and can some of the beef - we do love canned beef and it makes for some quick meals and would get me back some freezer space). I'll either roll that money forward since I have a half of pig coming in February/March or move it to the Pet Expense account because:

On top of the stitches, the dog came down with a fever, and stopped eating or drinking.  No one thinks it's related to the injury because it wasn't that severe.  However, she had the same set of symptoms twice in the spring that racked up some serious ER bills trying to get her turned around (her vet was always "too busy" to see her and sent us to the ER every time she wasn't feeling well, part of the reason I switched vets).  The new vet gave her fluid twice last week and then taught us how to do it so we could continue administering it to her over the weekend.  Now I'm not a fan of needles but we got through it.  We've been to the vet 5 times in the last 12 days but the good news is that all total it was still less than one ER visit. She seems to be over the worst of it but she keeps pulling off the scab so her injury is taking a bit longer to heal than I would like.  We have a gigantic cone for her (because she figured out how to twist her body with the normal one and still get at the stitches) but it's so big she can't eat or drink with it on and can barely walk around without running into things.  Really difficult combo to deal with.  Put the cone on and guess when a sick dog might be willing to try to eat or drink, leave the cone off and she opens her injury.  It's been an exhausting week.  Plus I got 3 new foster puppies a week ago and placed a different foster in his forever home.  

• Sad 2

Just now, cjzimmer1 said:

Only made 41 of my goal of freezer items but it was cold enough this weekend that I could move everything outside to clean the freezers (normally I try to whittle it down to one and then just move stuff back and forth between my two uprights).  Really glad I got it done as my neighbor dropped off two turkeys this morning and my DH went and picked up the beef this afternoon.  There is a little room left but not much.

Neighbor just texted me to see if I knew anyone else who needed a turkey or if I wanted more since they still had about 10 left.  May have to try rearranging the freezers or do some canning yet.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cjzimmer1 said:

I grabbed the last few things I needed for Thanksgiving and I still have $50 left of my grocery cash.  So there will be no problem making it through the month on that.  And with the final totals on the beef in, I have $250 left in the budgeted grocery account.  Normally I go out on Black Friday and grab a few cheap turkeys but since I have no room, I'll have to let that pass (unless I get ambitious and can some of the beef - we do love canned beef and it makes for some quick meals and would get me back some freezer space). I'll either roll that money forward since I have a half of pig coming in February/March or move it to the Pet Expense account because:

On top of the stitches, the dog came down with a fever, and stopped eating or drinking.  No one thinks it's related to the injury because it wasn't that severe.  However, she had the same set of symptoms twice in the spring that racked up some serious ER bills trying to get her turned around (her vet was always "too busy" to see her and sent us to the ER every time she wasn't feeling well, part of the reason I switched vets).  The new vet gave her fluid twice last week and then taught us how to do it so we could continue administering it to her over the weekend.  Now I'm not a fan of needles but we got through it.  We've been to the vet 5 times in the last 12 days but the good news is that all total it was still less than one ER visit. She seems to be over the worst of it but she keeps pulling off the scab so her injury is taking a bit longer to heal than I would like.  We have a gigantic cone for her (because she figured out how to twist her body with the normal one and still get at the stitches) but it's so big she can't eat or drink with it on and can barely walk around without running into things.  Really difficult combo to deal with.  Put the cone on and guess when a sick dog might be willing to try to eat or drink, leave the cone off and she opens her injury.  It's been an exhausting week.  Plus I got 3 new foster puppies a week ago and placed a different foster in his forever home.  

Oh wow, great job on the grocery budget.  I am sorry about your dog.  Sending some hugs it sounds like the last week has been so busy for you.

1 hour ago, mommyoffive said:

Exclusive offer: Get a $8 promotional credit with a $40 Gift Card purchase

Amazon.com: Exclusive offer: Get a $8 promotional credit with a $40 Gift Card purchase: Gift Cards

Thanks! I will give this a try, since I know I will be spending at least $40 on Amazon soon. There's some question on slickdeals whether or not this deal is still valid.   

I haven't been able to register on the olay website for their holiday rebate; I keep getting an error message. I still went ahead and did the deal at Target for bodywash and got a $10 giftcard. I also got a few books with their buy 2/get 1 free deal. That should qualify me for a Target circle $10 credit.  Hopefully Olay will get their rebate page sorted out soon.

I had some reward credit at Walgreens, so I got 3 bottles of face wash (buy 2, get 1 free) and a candy bar for DS14's stocking for $4.50 after coupons and credits.

Used a store coupon for free cranberry sauce at HEB. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cjzimmer1 said:

Solidarity over the dog issues. Mine has bad allergies and has been chewing his feet. He's in a cone that I had to rig up to make longer.  I swear he knows yoga because I've never seen a dog be able to straighten his legs like this just to get around the cone and chew. 

• Like 1