Menu

finding an AoPS Calculus grader/tutor

Does anyone have any general suggestions -- or better yet, specific recommendations!  -- about how to find a calc tutor familiar with AoPS (or the equivalent)?  DS17 is a very motivated and capable math student, and of course we have the solutions manual, but we need someone to score his problem sets and discuss the occasional question over zoom. 

Historically, this has been DH's purview, but he's very pressed at work this year and really wants me to find someone else.  I don't have the background to do it myself.  

We've been beating the bushes in a couple of university math departments where we have connections but so far no luck.  

I'm also wondering if perhaps I'd get a better response to my emails if I offer a specific amount per hour --  any thoughts on whether that's true, and if so what I should offer in order to prompt some interest?

Edited by JennyD
  • Like 1

As background, my son worked through the AOPS Calculus book and we had a tutor meet with him weekly. We didn’t use her as a grader, I never really worried about a grade. He worked through it, mastered the material and got an A. We used her instead as someone to ask questions to and also just to talk about Math with. They worked through AOPS Calculus and Intermediate C&P together. I don’t think she had used the AOPS books, but was a Math major and didn’t really need to be familiar with the exact material. 

We paid her $30 an hour and they met once a week for a hour. She was a homeschool graduate who had majored in Math. You could try homeschool co-ops in your area, or since they could meet remotely and even send in materials remotely, it could be someone not in your area. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Not_a_Number said:

I’ve had people reach out to me after finding me on the AoPS site. I bet you could try that.

You could also search a database like Wyzant for that keyword.

Do you care if it’s on Zoom?

No, I have been assuming that it will be over Zoom.   We're living in more than one place this year anyway. 

My older ds tutors AoPS. (He majored in math at MIT). He is currently busy until the end of term around December 20th, but might be free after that. Do you want me to ask him, or is that too late for your needs? 

Edited by lewelma
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, lewelma said:

My older ds tutors AoPS. (He majored in math at MIT). He is currently busy until the end of term around December 20th, but might be free after that. Do you want me to ask him, or is that too late for your needs? 

Thank you!  Sent you a PM.

In case others are looking, I know a young person from our former homeschool community, now at Stanford (MechE), who tutors AoPS. PM me if you'd like their contact info. @JennyD, I replied to your PM.