Menu

Have we not watched Jurassic Park recently enough?

Terabith

We've learned nothing from the past 300 years of industrialization.  As a species we're far more competent than moral or wise.  These people call themselves scientists but believe that natural selection and evolution are for thee not for me, apparently.

• Like 3

Alrighty then. I guess they need to start watching Jurassic Park in science and ethics classes. They will absolutely develop the technology. The question is whether or not the humans in leadership will exercise any common sense on the uses of it, and the enforcement of restrictions. It could be really wonderful and lead to next gen medical treatments or it could be really really bad. I don't have a lot of faith in the common sense of leadership these days.

• Like 1

Yeah, there is really some potential for massive good here, I think?  But it also really sounds like the setup for a Michael Crichton book just before the nanobots eat everything and destroy the world.  

I 100% believe all STEM majors should have a required ethics and film class in undergrad.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brittany1116 said:

What is the thing Ian Malcolm says? So busy thinking about whether they could that they never stopped to think whether they should.

Yes. And that is why this film should be watched and discussed by every science student in a film or ethics class. And though Jurassic World, the first one, was not a great film, it still highlighted very strongly what happens when something that is alive and has the means to hurt folks, is treated like a machine and in humanely without regard for morality and ethics. So they may as well toss that one into class too.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Faith-manor said:

Yes. And that is why this film should be watched and discussed by every science student in a film or ethics class. And though Jurassic World, the first one, was not a great film, it still highlighted very strongly what happens when something that is alive and has the means to hurt folks, is treated like a machine and in humanely without regard for morality and ethics. So they may as well toss that one into class too.

It’s my favorite one in the whole Jurassic franchise!