Menu

Audiobook for Apologia science

lulalu

I have an audible credit to use. We won't have all our books with us for the next few months. I saw audible has the elementary Apologia books. Would this work to just listen to the textbook and not have the physical textbook to look at? Or is there too much that would be missed? 

28 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

We tried this a few years ago with one kid, and it did not go well. I'd look to the sample and see if it's a good match. My kid wanted and needed visual images to hold interest.

Do you remember if there are references to graphs and pictures and such in the text? Or were the pictures just able to help show what they were discussing? 

We tried the books for the blind (which does read what the graphs and pictures are) and the audible version. They are not the same. Neither worked well for this kid.  My kid has an incredible ability to create mental images---it was just boring as heck to listen to.  I listened along with him---same problem.

And, honestly, I think most of the "good" stuff in the elementary curricula is in the notebooks that go along with the textbooks. They totally make the program worth it.  If you have the notebooks but just don't have the textbooks, you could make it work. If you're looking for just something else to do that is not tangible, I'd look elsewhere.

ETA: If you are mid-move somewhere, and all you have is a phone, but you've got a good internet connection---I'd get a mystery science subscription for a few months. The videos are really engaging. If you have access to a printer to do some of the experiments, great, but not every experiment requires access to a printer, and not every lesson has an experiment.

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1