Menu

Unveilings new school year to get off to new start?

We do not just school during the same days as public school. So we have schooled for a little bit during the summer. But mostly, we have been very busy and I can see we will be very busy for the next two weeks or so. I am thinking it might be good to give the kids the time off, which they were off last week too so by the time we start again, it will be a good four week break. And during the summer, we were "light schooling" anyway. 

I was thinking about how when kids go back to school in the fall, which they are all starting to do around here, there is a definite feeling of transition from seeing their books for the first time, hearing about the classes, seeing their new spaces, new supplies, etc. So I decided this year, instead of just putting the books out there that they will use, I have actually put them up and plan to bring them out on our "first day." Our spaces are changing too. With two off to college this year, I am hoping to reclaim some space and do something school related with it. We have already been re-arranging bedrooms. 

I am thinking of making a schedule and giving everyone a schedule so it feels a little more formal. I am hoping to improve behavior. Over the course of the summer, they have descended in to a case of the summer boredums (aka siblings that won't stop bickering and are becoming big jerks, the kid of behavior that spawns commercials like the "Most Wonderful Time of the Year" back to school sale). I am over it and we are ready for a reboot.

Does anyone else have anything they do to transition to the new year, get kids in to the serious mode, etc?

I went semi- formal this year. We transitioned to “6th” grade on Jan 1, but this week I made a schedule. Similar to what he would see on a public middle school “schedule of classes” listing his “courses” and electives.  I also printed out a list of goals I would like to achieve (work neatly and diligently, good attitude, show math work) and a list of expectations. 

32 minutes ago, Dmmetler said:

We used to redecorate the school room bulletin boards, etc every year-new border, fabric, etc. It provided a nice transition.

What a fun idea! I might steal it.

I just organized our school stuff using magazine holders (thanks boardies for the suggestion I even use them in the kids regular book shelf I cut out the small lip and it keeps the books upright even if most books are out of the shelf). 

15 minutes ago, Clarita said:

What a fun idea! I might steal it.

I just organized our school stuff using magazine holders (thanks boardies for the suggestion I even use them in the kids regular book shelf I cut out the small lip and it keeps the books upright even if most books are out of the shelf). 

We started this when L was little and really wanted "real school stuff"-which turned out to be a cute class name, mascot, decorations, etc (in fairness, a favorite cousin had just done Kindergarten round up...). So, we decided on a name, mascot, and decorated the room. After that, it became a tradition that continued until about 8th grade. Now, of course, L gets to decorate a dorm room :). 

• Like 1

We school year round with "light school" during the summer. Usually I signal the start of the "official new grade level" in September by decorating the house in Autumn inspired decor. September is when we start our new history and science topics and any new subjects (this year we're getting serious about music and art, and adding French.)  Our first year I added sprinkles to my son's pancakes and made a big celebration of it, but he was unimpressed and refused to eat the pancakes (texture issue). Lol. I've kept it simple since then.